Volvospeed Forums

Whoa Loss Of Oil - Pics Inside

7 VII 7

Ok, so I know I have talked about loss of oil in the past but used some heavy turbo lately and checked my oil and it was about all the way down to the tip of the dipstick. Previously half way 2 weeks ago.

What do I need to replace or see what is going on? I dont have any oil dripping onto my driveway but it is a little wet underneath, not sure from oil, CV grease or trans fluid (pretty sure not trans fluid)

I took some pics as soon as I got home of my engine where I see "fresh" oil.

m4tut.jpg

last time I checked there were NO pools of oil under the spark plug cover

r1e9h3.jpg

54uc1y.jpg

PTC has some oil

25samps.jpg

CBV has been been caked in oil ever since I bought the car years ago.

2zjdmpd.jpg

PCV is 3 years old probably (12k miles ago)

I took a look at the CAM seals and they are not dripping oil. I though they were so I was able to get some OEM ones from Tyler... still have them since they were good.

Oil return line for the turbo was fine but oil at the bottom of the turbo from last inspection. Some oil on the hydraulic engine mount at the firewall.

Any suggestions before I start to dig in?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha looks like almost every older Volvo I've seen.

Try replacing that vacuum line from the pass. side intake to the PTC with a larger diameter hose. That has helped with my crankcase pressure at idle a lot! They tend to clog very easily in my opinion.

I'd check the seal at the cam position sensor. It has a sneaky way of leaking. Good luck... leaks suck.

I checked that. The were both fine. Also it was mentioned in the original post.

Any other ideas guys?

oil cooler lines are notorious for eventually leaking.

But arnt the oil cooler lines on the passenger side? Mine is on the driver's side

My bad. Totally glanced over that. Is it possible she's burning oil? Turbro maybe?

Ek, possibly

driver side only, eh?

i had oil on the bottom of the turbo which was making it's way from the gasket on the turbo return line. Those go bad about every 5 years or so. Easy and cheap fix, may as well try.

loose or torn intercooler lines can leak if you have a lot of blow by.

when was the last time you opened up the spark plug cover? My breather hose was loose, and the oil was puddling up and leaving thru the weep hole at the back/right of the cover.

leak in the oil cooling part of the radiator?

Thats what happens when you use "heavy turbo". lol Seriously though did you check the cam seal under the cam sensor? If not that did you check the rear main seal? Lastly I gotta think turbo. They can seap a great deal as they start to go out.

Thats what happens when you use "heavy turbo". lol Seriously though did you check the cam seal under the cam sensor? If not that did you check the rear main seal? Lastly I gotta think turbo. They can seap a great deal as they start to go out.

Cam seals under the cam sensor and rotor/dizzy cap were clean and not leaking. Rear main seal is fine but oil is coming down to that area a bit. No leaking of oil onto the driveway also.

Remove your splash guard and look in the bottom of it. I'm willing to bet a lot of oil's going through the intercooler lines and dumping out at the bottom there.

Remove the oil dipstick and rev the car up to 3000 or so and look for smoke. The PTC looks like it may be clogged from your picture above.

Ok, took out the PTC, fresh air tube and that area. I have taken Hussain's pictures and put in red what was covered in oil. I checked the shaft play of the turbo and it moves a little bit up and down but 0 play in and out. I saw a good amount of oil on the engine mount and on the rack.

Lots of fresh oil on the bottom of the compressor near the "red vacuum line". Also when I took out the fresh air tube there was a lot of oil in that. You could see through the PTC even though there was some caked on matter in it. The CBV was covered in old oil.

mmwfia.jpg

33c3qtk.jpg

smty4n.jpg

2jayhpy.jpg

Anything else to check tomorrow as I am working from home?

Like I said, try a larger diameter hose on the PTC to the pass. side of the intake. OR the drain all the way down to the oil pan is still plugged and your sucking up a lot of oil out of the oil trap since it can't drain.

what can I use in place of that hose? I have silicone vacuum hose but that does not seem to be super tough (IDK). I still have everything unbolted so should I check anything else?

Archived