Volvospeed Forums

Noise When Opening Drivers Door

stardog

My 1996 850 started making clunking noises when I open and close the drivers door. I think it is the upper hinge but I can't feel any slop in it. It also has been well maintained and is still greased without any dirt. The rubber boot is half gone so I wonder if something is worn either inside the door or inside the car. Any help is appreciated.

I started getting funny noises on my 1994 850 drivers doora couple of weeks ago. I also noticed that the glass was not always running perfectly when lowering it. I found out that the rear glass rail inside the door was loose. It is held in place by a single screw on the lower part of the door. The screw was tight in place so i figured something was broken. I took out door lining to have access to the inside and sure, the rail had fallen on the door bottom. It turns out that a small piece of metal where the screw goes had broken. I took ou the screw and got the broken piece of metal. I welded it back in place and reassembleb. Worked great, and the door now closes quietly and the glass runs up and down perfectly.

Guest Guest_KY Chris_*

I started getting funny noises on my 1994 850 drivers doora couple of weeks ago. I also noticed that the glass was not always running perfectly when lowering it. I found out that the rear glass rail inside the door was loose. It is held in place by a single screw on the lower part of the door. The screw was tight in place so i figured something was broken. I took out door lining to have access to the inside and sure, the rail had fallen on the door bottom. It turns out that a small piece of metal where the screw goes had broken. I took ou the screw and got the broken piece of metal. I welded it back in place and reassembleb. Worked great, and the door now closes quietly and the glass runs up and down perfectly.

Did the exact same fix last weekend. TIG-ed it and no more sound.

Wow, I'm scratching my head wondering how I missed this fix since I've been putting up with a noisy passenger front door for almost a year now :( I guess if it had been the driver's door instead I would've paid more attention ;) Anyway, I found one of the 10mm bolts was loose so I tightened it, but that didn't stop the noise. Then I found the T40 torx was loose too and tightening that took care of the problem. Yea!

the hinge is broken off the body and needs to be welded on again

call you volvo dealer and see who they recc.

my guy charged me about $100 to do this.

I found out that the body is cracked where the center hinge goes into the car. Is this common on later volvo's? This car is well maintained and no sign of corrosion or any damage. I have not swung the door open hard or anything like that. I have an 1985 740 wagon with 193,000 miles with nothing like this ever happening. Would it be covered under the volvo warranty?

I found out that the body is cracked where the center hinge goes into the car. Is this common on later volvo's? This car is well maintained and no sign of corrosion or any damage. I have not swung the door open hard or anything like that. I have an 1985 740 wagon with 193,000 miles with nothing like this ever happening. Would it be covered under the volvo warranty?

yeah sadly this is pretty common. happened to me too during the summer. i didnt want to shell out any money fixing it since it wasn't a major problem (just an annoyance), but my dad took it in. we got maybe 5 quotes and most were abour $300-$600 because they had to take off the door and either weld it back on or get a new part of the frame entirely (i believe that was the quote for $600). but finally, i found a place that did it for $200. the guy who said he got his doen for $100 got an awfully good deal in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

My 1996 850GLT started making the noise a couple weeks ago. A friend gave me the Bay13 web site above where it shows how to tighten the 40 mm torx bolt. I looked at this and saw where the hinge connects to the frame there is crack. Looks like I need to have some welding done. It is a very annoying sound. And costly it appears. I have only 47,500 miles on the car.

Archived