Volvospeed Forums

Installing An Obd Ii Scanner For Iphone

Max Meade

Hey guys!

So I wanted to get your opinion on something I am thinking about do to my car, and any ideas that would make this more feasible.

I am looking into installing a wireless or Bluetooth OBD II scan tool that would give my live data to my phone/tablet/computer. I am seeing a couple apparent issues to an install already because of where the OBD II port is located. First of all, without taking a section out of the bottom of the piece that lifts from the center console, I don't see a way I could install this as a permanent option that wouldn't change any of the features of the interior of the car. I have been looking into what options I have and I wanted to get your opinion on them and see what might be my best bet. I could get a mini OBD II scanner like this one, being so small, it might work fine and sit flush, or I could get something like this, and wire a wireless OBD II scanner elsewhere in the car.

I guess I am just wondering if any of you have done this before and how you did it. Will the smaller OBD II scanners sit flush or will it extrude a bit rendering either the cup holder or the center console useless or a pain to use? Is there a better way to do this?

I would really like to hear your opinions!

Thanks so much,

Max

Any thing plugged into the OBDII port is going to interfere with closing the armrest. I use an OT-2 to scan data on my iPhone through Logworks. Be aware that only 4 channels of data will display, ISO-9141 is too slow to support more channels reliably, regardless of what any documentation may claim.

To prevent the plug raising the armrest, I moved the OBDII port inside the armrest. You can slot the removable retaining screw cover. Ignore the arrow, this pic was taken to illustrate the VAG-COM cable integrated with the OBDII wiring.

IMG_3598_zpsddf20407.jpg

No I don't throw codes that often but being able to clear them on the spot is nice...

I really want it because of the live performance information some of the apps you can get offer.

My friend recently hooked one up to his car and I was impressed on the information you could get.

The little tiny bluetooth obd scanners you can buy on ebay for cheap should be able to fit with the armrest closed. I'll double check on my car tomorrow but I think it'll work. I'm not sure they work with iphones though. Something about apple purposely crippling the bluetooth capability to only use devices they approve of.

This is really a unique device and now blackberry will also launch obd2 software for the Blackberry BB10 devices. Also on another note, I just read today on the Ian Hawkins’s forum that Torque will be finally ported on the BB10 OS. That means that will we enjoy one the best OBD2 app around on our z10, Q10 and BB playbook. These OBD2 scanners provide best performance gauges and average fuel economy.

FYI, there are no iPhone apps that can receive OBDII data via bluetooth. You will need an ELM327 wifi dongle. I bought mine on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AOIM2CC/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I use it with the Dash Command app (purchased when the app was on sale for 50% off -- it's overpriced at the full price IMO). I'm pretty sure there are other iPhone apps that will work, too. Regardless, you'll need the ELM wifi dongle to get any readings on your iPhone.

If you have an android device you can use an ELM327 bluetooth dongle.

This is really a unique device and now blackberry will also launch obd2 software for the Blackberry BB10 devices. Also on another note, I just read today on the Ian Hawkins’s forum that Torque will be finally ported on the BB10 OS. That means that will we enjoy one the best OBD2 app around on our z10, Q10 and BB playbook. These OBD2 scanners provide best performance gauges and average fuel economy.

If this isn't spam, fill out your sig :arob:

Yeah I think my best bet is going to be going with the extender and wiring the OBD II somewhere else so I can use the iPhone capable one. If the extender can fit without extruding past the hole for the OBD II, then I think I could rewire it in a way that would look really good and wouldn't show unless you were looking for it.

I guess my other option would be to move the OBD II port, I don't think that would be all that hard, I just don't know how to get to the actual OBD II port screws so I can take it out and rewire it somewhere else.

Thanks for your opinions guys!

It is possible use Bluetooth with the Iphone but only if jailbreak your iphone like i have.

I am using a mini Bluetooth ELM327 OB2 dongle from ebay super cheap ($6) and dashcommand (dropped their prices alot more affordable).

The key enabler is the software which you have have to purchase after jailbreaking your iphone. Its called RoqyBT4 or RoqyBT7 for ios7 the cost is 5 Euros, you can only find the software via Cydia which is installed after you have jail broken your phone.

Click on the Cydia program>Manage>Sources>Edit and then add http://apt.modmyi.com

Then search and install either RoqyBT4 or RoqyBT7 ( ios7)

After that step you need to search in Cydia for RoqyOBD4 or RoqyOBD7 and install depending again on IOS.

Reboot/respring after install.

In your Dashcommand or similar OBD2 logging program go to settings and select>ELM and configure OB2 port as below:

For details on Jailbreaking iphones/ipads search google for "RedSn0w"

OBD server:

roqyOBD creates a tcp server with those parameters:

Address: 127.0.0.1

port: 35000

Configure your OBD favorite application to connect to this server

• 10 months later...

FYI, there are no iPhone apps that can receive OBDII data via bluetooth. You will need an ELM327 wifi dongle. I bought mine on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AOIM2CC/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I use it with the Dash Command app (purchased when the app was on sale for 50% off -- it's overpriced at the full price IMO). I'm pretty sure there are other iPhone apps that will work, too. Regardless, you'll need the ELM wifi dongle to get any readings on your iPhone.

If you have an android device you can use an ELM327 bluetooth dongle.

Starting from iPhone 4s, iphone supports bluetooth low energy. Which means that they can receive OBDII data via bluetooth without jailbreak.

Yeah I think my best bet is going to be going with the extender and wiring the OBD II somewhere else so I can use the iPhone capable one. If the extender can fit without extruding past the hole for the OBD II, then I think I could rewire it in a way that would look really good and wouldn't show unless you were looking for it.

I guess my other option would be to move the OBD II port, I don't think that would be all that hard, I just don't know how to get to the actual OBD II port screws so I can take it out and rewire it somewhere else.

Thanks for your opinions guys!

I have been using a bluetooth low energy adapter found at ebay with my ipod, it is pure white and mini size, it should fit. you should see it if Search lelink on ebay. Hope it helps.

Archived