Volvospeed Forums

Has Anyone Evern Bothered To Try?

zazzn

I noticed most people here are all about ecu upgrades.

I've posted this similar rant before so skip this tread if you don't want to read it.

Anyways, I notice that most people here have no idea about tricking the ECU to extract more boost/power out of it.

I have some specific questions, pelase don't answer if you don't know and pelase try to keep the fluff down.

#1. How far does the stock fuel map extend to in PSI on the stock turbo (assume 98 2.3 T5) My guess is 12-13 before fuel cutoff, so I guess thats where the map ends.

#2 How is fuel cut off determined? Does it solely base the map on the boost pressure sensor or map or tps+map ect.

#3 Has anyone used a zenior diod (spelling) to limit the voltage outputted by the pressure sensor so the ecu only thinks it sees 12 psi meanwhile you're doing 18. Of coruse using fuel pressure or bigger injectors to compensate for the fuel. (possibly even a emanage or s-afc) before you talk about learning and O2 senor shut up please and stop reading the thread because you obviously don't know anything about open and closed loop.

IF you have done any of the above I'd love to hear about it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i was figuring since the BCS is controlled by voltage from the ecu as to when to poen or close and how much. You could delay it with a resistor... but who knows if it will work or wise up. NOt to mention how much needed to get what kind of gain and not blow your engine to bits haha.

You being the new guy on the block why don't you tell us what you know about: Tricking the ECU, open and closed loop, learning and O2 sensor operation. When you trick the ECU how do you determine how your trick effects other aspects of programs running.

Why are you Not about ECU upgrades?

You being the new guy on the block why don't you tell us what you know about: Tricking the ECU,  open and closed loop, learning and O2 sensor operation.  When you trick the ECU how do you determine how your trick effects other aspects of programs running.

He hasn't listened to rules of thumb in the past and my thoughts and the thoughts of others, so I don't think he's about to start.

Guy: If you're so interested in this stuff, you ought to try some things out for yourself. No one here has shown any interest in these sorts of things through all of your posting about them, I don't think it's changed? You prefaced your post by saying we don't know about it, then proceed to ask us questions about it?

It is *not* the ideal or even close to the ideal solution for more power on our cars. If you want to put in a bigger FPR or something and throw a zener diode or some resistors in some lines and see how it works, let us know how that goes.

You being the new guy on the block why don't you tell us what you know about: Tricking the ECU,  open and closed loop, learning and O2 sensor operation.  When you trick the ECU how do you determine how your trick effects other aspects of programs running.

Where can I find "Speed Tunning"?, I wanna look at there ECU upgrade, cause I need it! :blink:

how safe can that be for your car? with an ECU upgrade everything is taking care of and you will almost never run into a problem

how safe can that be for your car?  with an ECU upgrade everything is taking care of and you will almost never run into a problem

SHHHH! I want him to try the resistor "trick" and see if it works. I only figured it out in theory hahaha. But it should work aslong as the ecu doesn't compensate for it.

So newguy try it.

JERRY!! JERRY!! JERRY!! JERRY!! JERRY!! JERRY!! ......

"I have some specific questions, pelase don't answer if you don't know and pelase try to keep the fluff down."

the ECU will probably recalibrate itself!? you will be under the closed voltage with those spliced in resistors. if the fuel map goes to 1 bar, how are you going to boost 18 psi? lean mehtinks.

go to Radioshack and start diggin thru the diode bin kid. Best of luck.

Eric pretty much touched the topic... however, also man... you haven't figured in timing.

The S-AFC on these cars can only modify values +/- 5% past 4K RPM. After talking to Greddy, I found the E-Manage can not be adapted to a 5 cylinder application.

I have 475's out of the S60R and a walbro fuel pump on the stock ecu out of a different year/version car. I can boost 18 PSI if I please. However, my timing maps are still very advanced.

Oh... btw... stock boost cut is at 1 bar

I noticed most people here are all about ecu upgrades.

I've posted this similar rant before so skip this tread if you don't want to read it.

Anyways, I notice that most people here have no idea about tricking the ECU to extract more boost/power out of it.

I have some specific questions, pelase don't answer if you don't know and pelase try to keep the fluff down.

#1. How far does the stock fuel map extend to in PSI on the stock turbo (assume 98 2.3 T5) My guess is 12-13 before fuel cutoff, so I guess thats where the map ends.

#2 How is fuel cut off determined? Does it solely base the map on the boost pressure sensor or map or tps+map ect.

#3 Has anyone used a zenior diod (spelling) to limit the voltage outputted by the pressure sensor so the ecu only thinks it sees 12 psi meanwhile you're doing 18. Of coruse using fuel pressure or bigger injectors to compensate for the fuel. (possibly even a emanage or s-afc) before you talk about learning and O2 senor shut up please and stop reading the thread because you obviously don't know anything about open and closed loop.

IF you have done any of the above I'd love to hear about it.

You've been reading too much on ebay! Forget resistor and diode "mOdZ yO".

If you "trick" the computer into thinking your're running 12psi, and you're really running 18psi, do you really think the ECU is going to provide the correct amount of fuel and spark for 18psi on it's 12psi map?

Don't look for a $0.50 hack when you can get a legit chip for a few hundred bucks. It's not worth blowing up your engine with some ghetto hack. If it was that easy everyone would be doing it.

- Slater

Well let's say you figure out how to trick the ECU. Remember it only has a static fuel map above 4000 rpm. It won't be looking for other inputs to compensate for extra boost. That will probably send your car to an early doom.

Even at the high end ~$800 most of the chips put out for these motors offer real bang for the buck on a dollars per HP basis.

Archived