Volvospeed Forums

Attn: Anyone With Comp Prog Or Ee Talent

Slater

OK, this is the official Volvo ECU modding project.

We need talented individuals to sign up and help with the some or all of the following skills:

1. Assembly programming

2. Computer programming (Visual Basic, C/C++, .NET, etc)

3. Working with ROM chips - programming, reading, tweaking etc

4. Soldering/desoldering on ICs

5. Experience with 8051-family microcontrollers

6. Experience with ANY microprocessor

7. Experience with Jetronic or Motronic ECUs

8. Any Electrical Engineering experience

9. Low level hardware interfacing

10. Computer encryption

11. Spare Volvo ECU

12. Access to the factory VCN 2000 Volvo scan tool

13. Access to electronic equipment like oscillators, desoldering equipment, etc.

14. Access to stock Volvo roms.

We will also eventually need beta testing people, that are not scared to screw their cars up testing some piece of code. If this is your only mode of transportation than you may want to reconsider.

This does not have to be Volvo ECU related experience. Even if you've tweaked with old electronics or written a C program we can use you!

This is in reference to this thread: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?s...pic=18304&st=45

- Slater

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a soldering MOFO.

Do you have a desoldering station? What brand?

Also, do you have any experience soldering on ICs? They are ususlaly cold soldered or infrared soldered. This is more difficult than the "I solder wires when installing stereo eqipment" type soldering. Trust me, if you've never soldered in intercooler stuff it will have you cussing in no time. Especially when you burn the pads on a $1k+ ECU.

- Slater

i took 5 terms worth of EE classes in 2001 and 2002. i might be able to help but i'm a little rusty. i've still got all my books though, that might help. ;)

Get out your books and start reading up. We'll need your mad skillz.

Also, I will send you the 8051 microcontrollers guide I have. If you can read and understand a lot of stuff in it that would be very helpful.

Did you do any logic circuit stuff, or any simple microprocessor/microcontroller or timers stuff?

- Slater

I have my stock ECU file if you want to play around. I've sent it to a few people months ago when this was discussed. It is Motronic 4.4.

Yeah, EOBD hooked me up with that.

I didn't ask though - what did you use to read it? Do you have a burner or something? Also, usually the roms don't survive when you desoldering them. You must have gotten lucky when you did yours that everything was intact.

- Slater

BTW, one of the first things on my list is to learn how to disable the EGR and 2nd 02 in a chip. This will allow you to not have to use stupid 02 sims and crap, and you'll be able to put a wideband in the 2nd 02's place with no extra bungs.

Also, with the EGR deleted you'll be able to run the newer 850 and nice S60 manifold without worrying about the EGR. Even with the stock manifold, you'll be able to unhook the EGR and get some HP back.

- Slater

Finally, the 2nd thing on my list is to build a library with as many roms as possible. This was instrumental in reverse engineering the Honda stuff, stock and aftermarket. What we will NOT do, however, is provide aftermarket roms to anyone. They are property of the companies who worked hard to make them, and they will stay that way. We don't need any lawsuits. Our goal is to allow owners to make their OWN rom. Any aftermarket roms we get will be used for educational purposes only and will not be publically available.

Yeah, EOBD hooked me up with that.

I didn't ask though - what did you use to read it? Do you have a burner or something? Also, usually the roms don't survive when you desoldering them. You must have gotten lucky when you did yours that everything was intact.

- Slater

I got my stock file from Bill@Adrenaline (who did my current Upsolute ECU) He pulled the stock file before loading the modified one.

Ps- Someone please pin this thread

Do you have a desoldering station? What brand?

Also, do you have any experience soldering on ICs? They are ususlaly cold soldered or infrared soldered. This is more difficult than the "I solder wires when installing stereo eqipment" type soldering. Trust me, if you've never soldered in IC stuff it will have you cussing in no time. Especially when you burn the pads on a $1k+ ECU.

- Slater

Yes I do, I have a Pace. Yes I have tons of experience with IC's. I have a bunch of solder certs, I work in a electronics lab.

This is my desolderstation. I access to others too.

Get out your books and start reading up. We'll need your mad skillz.

Also, I will send you the 8051 microcontrollers guide I have. If you can read and understand a lot of stuff in it that would be very helpful.

Did you do any logic circuit stuff, or any simple microprocessor/microcontroller or timers stuff?

- Slater

i did quite a bit of logic circuit stuff, all fairly simple though. i'm not sure about the other stuff though.

we did some assembly language programming too, but i imagine i'm rusty at that as well. i dunno if that is even usefull?

Archived