Volvospeed Forums

Custom Sub Enclosure On V70

whitev70r

Here are a couple of pics of my custom sub enclosure. The major factors that I was working with were:

1. Space - didn't want to take up any that would take up a huge corner. Ruled out buying a sub box and letting it sit in the trunk.

2. Cost - couldn't afford a total custom job like Bing_0's completely stealth spare wheel enclosure ;) . As well, I have rear facing 3rd row seats, another factor.

So this is what I ended up with. I put 2 8" in my back right corner. I put my amps in the spare wheel area. I am pretty happy with sound, it's tight bass, not 'wake up your neighbour' kind of bass. Perfect for my taste.

Pic 1

Subwoofer%20Enclosure%201.jpg

Pic 2

Subwoofer%20Enclosure%202.jpg

Love the enclosure! What the hell kind of subs are those?

Believe it or not, they are subs from a home subwoofer. Jamo. They are 8 ohms and I wired them in serial (I think) so that the amp sees 4 ohms. I had them lying around the house doing nothing. So I thought of a way to use them. I think alternatively, I could have gone with a 10" in that space. Matter of choice.

Believe it or not, they are subs from a home subwoofer. Jamo. They are 8 ohms and I wired them in serial (I think) so that the amp sees 4 ohms. I had them lying around the house doing nothing. So I thought of a way to use them. I think alternatively, I could have gone with a 10" in that space. Matter of choice.

I was gonna say... haha.. they sound good tho? Awesome man.. nice work.

great job man! :)

if you ever want to keepthe same concept but get a little better bass response, try this:

build trhe same type of box, and get yourself a kicker l7 or l5 8" sub, and then mount it on the BACK of the box, so it fitures directly into the passenger side rear corner facing the tailgate, leave about 2-3 incesh between the the sub and the body. what you are doing then is corner loading the sub, whcih I am sure you are famaliarwith if you know home audio...give it a solid 2-300 watts, and you will be surprised by what you get out of a single 8" :)

but stll, it looks great, super clean man...

b

Guest 1998 V70

Here's my solution that's literally hidden and takes no wagon space. I bought this from Costco in Richmond BC for about $100 CAD:

http://www.cyber-acoustics.com/go/to-na.en...s&model=A3780ml

If you check out the reviews on the web, this sub has serious power (and tight bass) unlike most other PC's systems that just look nice. I gave the satellites away and was only interested in the sub

1. I put the sub in the spare tire bin and removed the rear most floor board/door since the sub now is close to flush with floor. A new board is cut based on the original one to fill the area to the left and right of the sub. I have a plastic cargo floor liner for the wagon and when it's in place, you can't even tell there's a sub (or anything out of the ordinary in the back)

2. Power comes from a cheap 175W inverter from Canadian Tire since the sub has a built-in 100W amp running on AC. DC-AC inverters usually introduce noise into audio components but since this is a sub, that kind of noise is beyond the sub-range and thus a non-issue and cannot be heard

3. The cool part is a mouse-like remote control which I run up to the front of the car which let's me fine tune the bass from the driver's position

4. The original radio (816) is connected to the sub with a custom cable I made connecting the line-outs from the DIN connector to some RCA jacks for the sub.

If you crank it up, you can literally hurt your ears. But I'm not really into that...just wanted some rich bass at an afforable price with little/no sacrifice to cargo space. I believe this is one of the biggest "bang for the buck" solutions with minimal effort and maximum stealth

not to sound mean at all but i see a few issues with this:

1. i know everyone has their own preference in sound quality, and by all means, if you are happy with the way it sounds, then thats cool, but i have seen and heard some of these similar home set ups,a nd in my opinion, it leaves much to be desired.

2. cosmetics may be an issue..

3. have you gone through a full seasonal change with them? home audio speakres are not designed to withstand the rigors of a car environment, they are prone to faliure due to moisture, heat, cold, dirt, debris, and vibration...try it out for a full year and see hwat happens...

b

Guest 98 V70

not to sound mean at all but i see a few issues with this:

1.  i know everyone has their own preference in sound quality, and by all means, if you are happy with the way it sounds, then thats cool, but i have seen and heard some of these similar home set ups,a nd in my opinion, it leaves much to be desired.

2.  cosmetics may be an issue..

3.  have you gone through a full seasonal change with them?  home audio speakres are not designed to withstand the rigors of a car environment, they are prone to faliure due to moisture, heat, cold, dirt, debris, and vibration...try it out for a full year and see hwat happens...

b

1. I guess it depends on who your intended audience is. If you're hard of hearing from exposure to loud music or trying to impress/annoy people outside the car, then yes, I can see the need for a mega watt sub setup. What was important to me was the quality of the bass rather than quantity.

2. There's nothing to see. The sub is completely concealed below deck.

3. I ran a similar setup with my 740 wagon for a couple of years no prob. A sub is made to VIBRATE so no issues there. I don't have moisture problems so environmental effects are minimal. The kicker is that I probably spent less on the entire setup than most do on just a driver or cables alone. I'm in it more for quality than bragging rights.

p.s. I do use THX certified speakers for my PC and have a proper 5.1 home theater as well so good sound isn't foreign to my ears...

Archived