Volvospeed Forums

Howto: Take Off Top Dash Cover

Serge

In my quest to make the dash quiter, I decided to take the cover off and put anti-squeak tape and cloth tape on any edge that moves. The problems are the result of using the Bay13 instructions to pull out the gauge cluster. Pulling on half of it results in the dash cover not properly fitting back into place. This is a fix that has made my ride a lot quiter.

Step 1: Remove dash speaker grilles. Pull out plastic clips that hold the speakers in and unhook them.

Step 2: Remove the plastic cover on the sides of the dash (right next to the side-mirrors). Pull the circular cap off, unscrew the screw behind it and also the one that goes ino the a-pillar.

Step 3: Under the passenger side speaker grille, there will be a screw. Unscrew it.

Step 4: Remove the three vents around the gauge cluster (only the top ones). There will be screws right above them. Also unscrew the two screws right above the gauge cluster.

Step 5: Take out the glove box. You have to take a small flat head screw driver and put it into the slot next to the arches that hold the glove box to the dash. Make sure they don't fall into the dash.

IMG_3404_small.JPG

Step 6: It is recommended to disconnect the negative battery lead before disconnecting any airbags in the car (which is what I did), but you can get away with just not having the car on. Pull the connector straight down, it should unclip.

IMG_3410_small.JPG

Step 7: With the glove box out, unbolt the four 10mm bolts holding the airbag in. There are also two more small torx screws right under the cover (at the edge). While you're at it, pull out the heater vent. Just give it a good tug and it'll pop out.

IMG_3411_small.JPG

IMG_3405_small.JPG

Step 8: With someone helping you on the other side, carefully begin to pry the dash out. Every screw should be out already, so there won't be anything hold it in.

IMG_3412_small.JPG

IMG_3413_small.JPG

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that the dash is out, time to stop it from squeaking! I used some wiring harness tape (it's a cloth tape) and put it on the edges that go towards the windshield. As well as any parts that come in contact with the front of the dash.

IMG_3416_small.JPG

IMG_3417_small.JPG

IMG_3418_small.JPG

IMG_3419_small.JPG

IMG_3420_small.JPG

Carefully slide the dash back in and bolt everything down. Make sure to reconnect the airbag. Finally reconnect the battery lead.

Viola!

great work Serge.  How'd it turn out?

Thanks Kev! A heck of a lot better than it was before! There are still some rough spots to work out, but I'll take care of those later. Atleast now I know how to get the dash out!

Thanks Kev! A heck of a lot better than it was before! There are still some rough spots to work out, but I'll take care of those later.  Atleast now I know how to get the dash out!

Nice! I bet it's pretty much the same for 70 series. How long did all that take ya?

Nice! I bet it's pretty much the same for 70 series.  How long did all that take ya?

I think it's the same, I'll check VADIS in a minute. I am also thinking of putting some peel-n-seal under the cover... but it'll really smell like asphalt when I crank up the heat, so I don't want to do that :)

I think it took no longer than an hour and a half, from start to finish. I really didn't know how the dash was supposed to come out, so I took my time, but now that I know how to do it I should be able to get it done sooner.

Guest DougK

Thanks bud, I was planning on doing the same thing when I do my apillar gauges, homelink mirror and hardwire my v1. I figure it'd be just easiest to pull the top of the dash to do all the wiring.

Doug

Do you guys know if you can drive the car like this, with the air bags out and disconnected?  I eventually want to take the whole dash apart and get rid of the creaks and I think it will take a long time.

sure you can, it's not very safe.. Serge said it only took him about an hour or so...

Do you guys know if you can drive the car like this, with the air bags out and disconnected?  I eventually want to take the whole dash apart and get rid of the creaks and I think it will take a long time.

I think the real answer is that the srs system will trip a cel that can only be dealer cleared.......(if you leave the bag unhooked) but someone needs to answer that definitively. Same question for the sips seat.

Archived