Volvospeed Forums

Bosch Etm Vs. Magneti Marelli Etm ?

BUD

Is the Bosch ETM more reliable then the Magneti Marelli ETM? (Fly-by-wire TB applications)

What is the difference in the design that makes it more reliable? Do they still use a thin-film Poly Rheostat, and if so, is it a difference in the materials or the process, or the mechanical or electrical design that allows them to get a slightly longer useful lifetime?

Do they fail for the same reasons?

Are the parts compatable? Can a more reliable Bosch ETM be substituted for a failed Magneti Marelli ETM without complications? Is the Programming the same?

How significant are the differences in part costs?

Is the Bosch ETM more reliable then the Magneti Marelli ETM? (Fly-by-wire TB applications)

It would appear to be that way, however let the newer cars with the bosh etm on them get some mileage like the other one and we will see.

What is the difference in the design that makes it more reliable? Do they still use a thin-film Poly Rheostat, and if so, is it a difference in the materials or the process, or the mechanical or electrical design that allows them to get a slightly longer useful lifetime?

They look physically different, I haven't had the chance to tear a Bosh apart.

Do they fail for the same reasons?

Haven't had to replace one yet so I wouldn't know why they fail.

Are the parts compatable? Can a more reliable Bosch ETM be substituted for a failed Magneti Marelli ETM without complications? Is the Programming the same?

No they are not compatable. The programming is totally different, software part numbers.

How significant are the differences in part costs?

No Idea, but they are not compatable with one another so it's not like it's a choice. The only choice is to buy a car with the newer Bosh TB on it.

So, do any of the new Volvos have an actual throttle cable, or is everything Fly-by-wire now?

And was 1998 the last cable before they switched to ETMs?

Couldn't anybody see this coming? I mean cables break, but they're only a few bucks to repair. What was the upside of this Electronic version?

1998 is the last year for the "real" throttle body. 1999 and on have the Electronic throtte Module. They also have the CVVT and the entire system, 1)ME7.0 2) ETM 3)CVVT etc. They are controlling things with electronics. Tighter control for emissions, so in that respect they have scored one for DOT. The do it yourselfer at home has taken a hit with the 1999 and on. The computer systems in the car now make it very hard to fix on the weekend with a six pack. Not sure about the plus side, but in 10 years or so I predict that someone will be wishing for the old ETM again. :P Who ever thought that they could have a car without a carb.

I think the steering wheel is really behind the times, I look for it to go, at least it should does nothing but get in the way, and puts the air bag closer to the driver. bring on the joy stick. :)

Guest Don Willson

The next thing is fly-by-wire brakes. Initially this makes us shudder but is is one of the well proven technologies, as it is used in thousands of trailer brakes.

Don Willson

VEXEDvolvo@comcast.net

The next thing is fly-by-wire brakes. Initially this makes us shudder but is is one of the well proven technologies, as it is used in thousands of trailer brakes.

Don Willson

VEXEDvolvo@comcast.net

I've been out of the auto industry for a while, but my understanding is that gov't regulation won't allow removal of the direct physical connection of the driver from the brakes-- at least on cars. Are trucks using brake-by-wire? I am used to the old hydraulic systems, which if they fail, are supposed to fail shut.

Archived