Volvospeed Forums

Retrofitting Tracs To An 850 Turbo

VolvoT5

Hi Guys,

I have an 850 Turbo (Euro T5) 1995 model. I have every single option avaliable in 1995 with the only exception being TRACS traction control.

I'm not really bothered about TRACS, just that it'd kind of 'complete' the package.

My ABS control unit is part number 9401541 which is the ABS w/o TRACS. I have, sitting around, an identical unit but with the TRACS (PN 9401542).

Questions - With the exception of the ECU - what else do I need to have TRACS installed on the car?

Secondly, even if I decide not to install TRACS - can I use the ABS ECU which has TRACS with my current system? What will happen if I install the 9401542 on my car now?

You'll need to find and install the dashboard switch to turn TRACS on or off!

I think I have one of them sitting around.

I'm not sure if the hydraulic modulator is the same, and if any pipe working is different. I realise the 850's tracs system uses the abs sensors but not sure what else is involved. Brakes are not my speciality!

What I'd really like to know is what would happen if I fitted my ABS Controller with TRACS to my non-TRACS car. I know you can't use a non-TRACS Controller in a TRACS car, but am unsure about the other way around.

make sure the switch is correct for the module...i know that the -95 switch will work in 96- cars (not 100% correct, but it will function correctly), but the 96- switch does not work in -95 cars

You will need to replace the ABS pump / valve body to one that has the TRACS portion as well.

So, so far if I were to retrofit TRACS, I would need the following:

ABS ECU w/ TRACS (Already have this)

TRACS Button from 94-95 Car (Already have this, too)

ABS Pump from a TRACS car (Can get this v. cheaply)

Feel free to add to this list!

Archived