Volvospeed Forums

B&m Tranny Cooler

Well, I had my tranny cooler sitting in my basement for a few months and finally got around to it today. I followed Charles's instructions and have some things to add.

I chose to mount the TC behind the bumper, directly behind the license plate to keep it stock looking.

I fabed up 2 quick and easy brackets. Simply some metal we had laying around, cut to length, drilled and a 90 bend put at the end.

I used 2 self tapping screws to get into the metal which worked great especially since getting a drill in there is a TIGHT fit.

To remove the old line on the trans I actually had to remove the air pump (in addition to the battery tray) to get a wrench in there and have enough room to get some decent torque

I might catch some flack for the way I secured the hoses to the cooler which where press on barb fittings with hose clamps but it works and I'm not worried about it so :P

If you choose to mount the cooler in the location i have used you will have to trim the splash guard for line/fitting clearance. No big deal, its thin plastic so the Dremel made quick work

Also I found I had to notch a little corner out of the battery tray just to be "safe" for clearance.

I think that's about it, comments? Questions?

PICS

Cooler assembly

coolerassembly.jpg

Brackets

bracket.jpg

Mounted, under shot

cooler.jpg

Front shot pic, my car isn't that dirty, flash makes it look that way..I swear :rolleyes:

cooler3.jpg

See it tucked behind there....If you are looking straight on it's no where to be seen

cooler2.jpg

EDIT: I allways like to know how much things COST!

$40 for the cooler (bought from member on the board, sorry forgot who!) They are typically arround there any way

$35 for the tranny lines (I bought both but you really only need the lower)

$38 for the hoses to be built out of the 1 lower hose. That includes, hose, crimp fittings and labor (be sure to call arround it took me 4 times before finding a place that could even do it)

$113 worth it? I think so....The number one cause for transmission failure is excess heat!

Also noticed smoother shifts :blink:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, looks just like mine. Except I mounted mine behind the driver side opening. I have a matching cooler to go on the other side for engine oil. You need 3/8" hose barbs.

Volvotranscoolerfrontlo.jpg

Yeah, that is where I plan on mounting mine also.

have mine in the same place

trannycooler3small.JPG

works really well, gets nice and hot plus the tranny shifts better.

still think it could be better so ive got another 2x 13 rows going in.

car still holds 1.2 bar to redline.

Kev, I put it behind the license plate to "hopefully" avoid all of those q's but i'm sure i'll get it once and a while...

Charles, not sure. I compared the barb ID's to the stock line openings (eyeball) and they where fairly close so I didn't think 2x...

I would like to throw on a set of the swivel NPT fittings that take the hose directly but didn't feel like throwing $60 at 2 fittings.

Archived