Volvospeed Forums

Projector Headlight Write-up, Sorry For The Delay

exexpat

If done as directed, this retrofit looks like a factory option from 6 inches away.

DSC01103a.JPG

I'm pretty anal when I talk about hiding imperfections.

Good luck getting a valeo or Hella projector cosmetically integrated into the housing. Otherwise, I can live without having a brand name considering the performance is equally as good.

I lived in Shanghai for 3 years. I've seen Siemens, Hella and Bosch production lines in China, they are not spectacular. It's 95% marketing.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so if i were to deflute most of the area around the projector, it wouldn't change the light output significantly?

i think it might look even better

You can deflute as much as you want :), that's the beauty of customization/fabrication.

this sounds badass

and the only major cost is the projectors from the CRX headlight

when i'm brave enough to hack up my headlight, i'm doing this

They aren't even expensive... HID kit costs more then all the required products for this project :lol:

i'm going to try and find a blackened out version

they're on ebay for a little bit more, but i want to be adventurous

and does it have to be 88-89 civic/crx because they use the 9006 bulbs?

i read 90-91 use H1

and is it a good idea to deflute the glass with sandpaper?

won't it scratch it all up?

yes Fahrenheit, that should be about 150-ish Celcius, correct? I have lived in normal metric system-following countries. I hate SAE measures.

F = (C x 1.8) + 32

300 = (C x 1.8) + 32

-32 . . . . . . . . . . -32

268 = C x 1.8

1.8 . . . .1.8

148.89 = C

;)

and is it a good idea to deflute the glass with sandpaper?

won't it scratch it all up?

You work your way up in sandpapers to not scratch the lenses and then end up using the meguiars plastic polish to remove the finite scratches that are left.

If you mean actual "glass" lenses, then you'll need to do clearcoat as a final stage. If you do glass lenses by hand, they will take 5 hours or so each side.

As for the early vz. late civic light... It is nice to retain the 9005 high and 9006 low beam lights, but you can use any bulbed light you want, you may just need different plugs and splice into the headlight wires. It's ok though, since you won't need to cut the three-pronged main plug that normally would go to your headlight housing.

so if i were to deflute most of the area around the projector, it wouldn't change the light output significantly?

i think it might look even better

If you like the way it looks without the lens on, then going clear works.

The brights might be interesting. The reflector on the CRX lights are made to be used with a clear lens, but the fluting on a Volvo lens will probably scatter it more. However, being they are brights it isn't all that important for the most part.

Archived