Volvospeed Forums

Relocating Battery

I remember asking this before, or mebe it was just reading about it, but whats a good kit I can buy to relocate my battery to the trunk? I know prolly ebay, but thought Id ask first. Also, for those that have done this...are there any problems that seem to occur? Anything at all? Thanks ahead of time.

-MIKE D

I remember asking this before, or mebe it was just reading about it, but whats a good kit I can buy to relocate my battery to the trunk? I know prolly ebay, but thought Id ask first. Also, for those that have done this...are there any problems that seem to occur? Anything at all? Thanks ahead of time.

-MIKE D

Ohm's Law:

V=I*R

...or more appropriately:

I=V/R

If you don't use a heavy enough gauge the resistance of the + wire run can be sufficient to drop current enough so that your battery won't charge. Probably minimum of 2 gauge would be best. I talked to a guy who did this with an <'04 S40 (I think with 4 gauge) and got about 400 miles to a charge before having to hook it back up to a trickle charger. Before you go to the trouble of mounting it, hook the battery up with the length of cable you intend to use and measure both voltage and current at the battery both before and after. If it drops too much you might need to go with a higher output alternator.

You'll obviously want to ground it in the trunk or under the seat too.

You also need to make sure that the battery is vented to the outside of the car, the by-product of a charging battery is hydrogen and a build up of H concentration and a spark... :blink:

with the amount of wire it requires...you really won't gain any weight savings by putting it in the trunk...it will actually make your car heavier...just get a lighter battery and turn it sideways if you need more room...

• 6 months later...

To bring up an old subject...

Already have a kit and everything...wire is 2guage. Just want to see if anyone had any pictures of how they did it. Do I need to have a distribution block up front too? Jus wondering...I've never done this before and want to do it right the first time for once :lol:

I've done it and yes there is a kit...I'll get you the name next week. I leave for Detroit tommorow morning.

edit: nvm, didn't read the very last post lol.

Archived