Volvospeed Forums

Have My Intake Manifold Off.... Pic Inside

turbomoose

DSC02088.sized.jpg

Have the intake manifold off to replace the oil vapor line that goes from the oil vapor / PCV box on the block to the intake boot on the turbo...

Does anyone suggest I do anything maintenance wise to the car while I have all of these parts removed??

:)

that's a good pic man....thanks alot....i say clean out the oil trap, or get a new one if possible....replace the vac line from the side of the intake manifold to the turbo hose, and wire brush all the oil lines down there....i guess you could polish the manifold too if you're good with that kind of stuff!!!

Clean the EGR if you have one down there, clean the TB out too! Replace the intake manifold gasket

when you've got it all back together, Seafoam the car, and then get the injectors cleaned and balanced and stuff....

good luck, let us know how it ends up!

The new vapor hose from the oil trap comes with a new vacuum line that goes to the side of the manifold... which was another thing I needed to replace. So that's covered.

Ill try to clean out the oil trap... and I have not found an EGR valve... just the air pump valve, which is new according to the Prev. Owners records.

MY TB is REALLY clean and shiny, I havent touched it. Not one drop of oil or a spot of grime on it anywhere. The intake manifold is fairly clean inside too... a little varnish by the mating surfaces of the manifold/head.

I know I should clean the idle valve too. Need to get some replacement vacuum lines from the dealer tomorrow too. Mine look kinda toasty.

And Im not into polishing the manifold. I hardly open the hood so it serves no useful purpose to me. Its nice to see other volvos with them polished tho, but as far as "mods" the only thing I'd do is use some tire shine. :D

TurboMoose,

How's the inside of the manifold look? Is it coated with black grease-like stuff?

I once had an Alfa 164. When I removed the intake manifold, the inside was coated with lots of black 'stuff'. I cleaned it w/ with some F.I. cleaner and engine felt smoother and had more power. I was thinking to do that on my 110k mi 850 but just curious how dirty is yours. some pic will be nice :P .

RK850

It wasnt hard at all to remove the manifold. Just make a mental map of where everything goes and what bolt goes where. I myself have always been excellent at this. My father on the other hand cant remember how to put anything back together.

here are a few pictures of what I've been playing with... Cant wait to get my paycheck later this afternoon so I can go get some carb cleaner and clean out a few parts. Im shocked by how clean everything is at 122K

DSC02076.sized.jpg

DSC02092.sized.jpg

DSC02093.sized.jpg

This is the Compressor Bypass Valve (CBV) mating surface on the turbo.

DSC02096.sized.jpg

CBV

DSC02097.sized.jpg

CBV Internals

DSC02098.sized.jpg

The dirtiest port I had on my intake manifold

DSC02099.sized.jpg

DSC02100.sized.jpg

Inside the manifold

DSC02103.sized.jpg

Inside the turbo discharge port... sorry for the blur

DSC02091.sized.jpg

And finally, I found this mystery hold on my valve cover! Is there anything missing? Or is this just some odd vent>?!

DSC02088.sized.jpg

Have the intake manifold off to replace the oil vapor line that goes from the oil vapor / PCV box on the block to the intake boot on the turbo...

Does anyone suggest I do anything maintenance wise to the car while I have all of these parts removed??

:)

Wicked cool Moose. I've been wanting to rip off the intake for a while (PCV crap too). Looks like an easy job really.

Your manifold looks pretty clean. The black stuff in the intake port is what I was taking about. On my Alfa, the entire manifold was coated with that.

Did you get new gaskets for the manifold and the injectors? The Haynes manual says they are needed when removing the manifold.

You need to plug that hole. Something definitely missing there :blink:

I saw your OE air filter. I think you need a K&N to unleash all those turbo power :D

RK850

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same hole on my '98 V70XC, which I have owned since new. No one seems to know what it is for, and I suspected the oil that I was finding on the top of the valve cover was coming from this hole (it looks like you've got exactly the same coating of oil that I had). Last summer, I plugged the hole, using the two adjacent screw holes, a metal plate, and a rubber stopper. The top of the engine is dry now (at least it was last time I checked it 6 months ago; I need to check it again when I do the annual maintenance this summer). However, this hole must serve a purpose, since I've seen it now on at least a handful of othe cars. Most people don't notice it, because it tends to fill up with oil so it doesn't appear to be a hole until you wipe it clean. Anyway, I hope I'm not doing any damage by keeping the hole plugged. :(

Regards,

Steve

if you remove the two knock sensors on the side of the block mark their orientation and DO NOT use air tools on them!!!!

the clamps might be a PITA to take off of the oil trap but there are 3 hoses and 2 bolts

Archived