Volvospeed Forums

Pulled Two Codes On My New 850...

2p3capri

Hi,

Just yesterday I picked up a 94 850 turbo () And being the car guy I am, I desided to pull codes on it even though no check anything lights were turned on.

I got 315 in the A2 slot, I have read this is for the EVAP Emissions system, but you will have to excuse me as I am normaly a Ford guy, so I dont really know what that means.

And in the A3 slot (abs) I got a 411 which is for an inlet valve open/short.

My main question is, what can I do to fix these codes.

On another note, I think my parkeing brake is dragging on the drivers side, is this common? (an audible moan is heard from the driver rear corner when driving, most noticeable when turneing right, and the dealer mentioned something about the parking brake sticking). I think it might be a return spring thats stuck, but I havent looked at the system on a Volvo yet so I am kindda guessing.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Kevin

First off Congrats on your new car and welcome to the site. I say site cause there is a lot of information here on the Site. This forum is for maintenance and repair and many of suggested repairs that members make can be found at the below link.

http://www.volvospeed.com/maintence.htm

Once you get into the various bolt on modifications that can be done to your volvo, you can find information for many of those at the below link.

http://www.volvospeed.com/mods.htm

The repair for the ABS code could be replacement of the hydraulic block, expensive. So for the ABS I'd erase the codes there and see if it comes back.

The A2 code is for the canister purge valve, that is called the EVAP valve by everyone. It is used on your car to purge the vapors from the canister. The ECM (engine control module) decides when to activate the purge valve and when it does it expects to see a rich mixture, it it doesn't then it will set the code. What ususally happen is the valve will not shut correctly so there is constant draw on the canister and no change is noted when activated by the computer. The valve is usually replaced. You will need a Kit cause the new valve doesn't match up with the electricial connector. Plus the kit includes a new line that goes from the intake manifold to the valve, and it has a check valve added to help. The kit also has the wiring adapter. I would also recommend installing a filter on the end of the valve that goes to the canister, this will help keep the small carbon bits out of the valve seat on the purge valve.

Below is a pic and location of the Canister purge valve (AKA Evap valve)

EvapValve.jpg

Your valve may be encased in a large plastic cover to help with the noise it makes when purging, just remove the clamps and you will see the valve. You will notice the clamps used on the volvo are atiker (SP0 or squeeze clamps, these can be replaced with screw type clamps no problem.

Below is a pic of the Kit for the evap and the filter. I'd suggest contacting http://www.FCPgroton.com for OEM good prices. The part number for the kit is 272190 and the filter is 9186744. If you can't find the parts on their site just give them a call, and tell them Volvospeed suggested using them.

315kit.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Just yesterday I picked up a 94 850 turbo () And being the car guy I am, I desided to pull codes on it even though no check anything lights were turned on.

Hey I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but im only 17 and new to the digital diagnosis. how do you the pull codes on it?

You have a '96 R so your car is OBDII ...I have an OBDII code reader, and since I live about two minutes from you I could come over sometime and get the codes read for you...I thought your car wasnt currently running though, did you get a new engine? Send me a PM if you want me to help you out.

Archived