Volvospeed Forums

Sanding Glass Lenses

Boomin850

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good find, the Novus 1,2,3 was a good idea. I couldn't get clarity until I cleared mine, but then there is risk of long term discoloration. 3-4 days of work is depressing, though. The PMMA plastic lenses take baout 45 minutes or less each from start to finish and no discoloration, no dremel, no risk of cracks. You may want to drop the $60 for both shipped at Swedish Car Parts and go this route. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Exactly...the light reflects off of the fluting and right into oncoming traffic :lol:

-MIKE D

The fluting doesn't really cause glare. It does however screw up the cutoff which is the major plus factor of projectors.

Exactly...the light reflects off of the fluting and right into oncoming traffic :lol:

-MIKE D

It wouldn't raise the light any higher, it would just defuse it to the sides more. The cutoff wouldn't be as sharp, although it would still be better than stock because you are controling the light before it hits the lens instead of having the lens do all the work. Projected out onto the road, the difference is almost meaningless. The fluting might decrease the range a little, but not below what you should have the lights set to anyway.

Dr.Pheta is running projectors with fluted lenses right now.

Personally, if I had this mod, I would want people to see the projector in the light, just to know there is something different there. :)

It wouldn't raise the light any higher, it would just defuse it to the sides more.  The cutoff wouldn't be as sharp, although it would still be better than stock because you are controling the light before it hits the lens instead of having the lens do all the work.  Projected out onto the road, the difference is almost meaningless.  The fluting might decrease the range a little, but not below what you should have the lights set to anyway.

Personally, if I had this mod, I would want people to see the projector in the light, just to know there is something different there.  :)

I thought there was someone rockin fluted projectors. You will definately notice my lights are different, even if I do leave the fluting.

Yeah, my setup is still running on fluted lenses (OEM Glass), and I definitely am not going to sit around for 4 days sanding lenses down. I'll probably grab plastic lenses from Swedish Car Parts and go that route.

The output seems lower than Bimmers sitting next to my car (I'm running e46 Single Xenon projectors, thus the able comparison). Also, my cutoff isn't as money as it could be without the flutes, so I'm most definitely going to end up with a circle of no flutes in front of my projectors.

It wouldn't raise the light any higher, it would just defuse it to the sides more.  The cutoff wouldn't be as sharp, although it would still be better than stock because you are controling the light before it hits the lens instead of having the lens do all the work.  Projected out onto the road, the difference is almost meaningless.  The fluting might decrease the range a little, but not below what you should have the lights set to anyway.

Wow, you called it.. the range w/ flutted glass is much shorter and directed to the sides more. Maybe its just the drastic contrast between that and my stock headlights w/ HID's, but I can't stand the beam like this. I'll be switching back to my original setup until I can get my hands on some plastic lenses.

Wow, Im seriously thinking about giving up on this ish. There is just no stopping...I've been sanding for the past 2 hours on only one lense and, well, this just sucks balls.

-MIKE D

I have 7 plastic lenses in my garage now, they take 1 hour each. :)

Edit: was I right about 10 hours?

Archived