Volvospeed Forums

What Coolant To Use For My 2000 S70?

turbomolar

My coolant/antifreeze it at the minimum line. I checked the manual and it says to only use "Volvo coolant/antifreeze". I did a search for coolant, but nothing really came up. The Volvo dealer charges $27 for a gallon of their special brew. Can anyone tell me what brand of coolant I can use to add to my existing coolant which is the Volvo kind?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

My coolant/antifreeze it at the minimum line.  I checked the manual and it says to only use "Volvo coolant/antifreeze".  I did a search for coolant, but nothing really came up.  The Volvo dealer charges $27 for a gallon of their special brew.  Can anyone tell me what brand of coolant I can use to add to my existing coolant which is the Volvo kind?

If its green just use a ethelyne glycol coolant. If its not use something like Prestone 150/10 or whatever. It will mix with anything. You may want to find out where your coolant is going though. If its low its leaking somewhere

Just add distilled water.

If you have not flushed the cooling system in a few years do that first. Just drain the system and fill it with water (some folks add rad cleaning stuff from Autozone). Let the engine run for a few minutes to get hot. Drain it and add 50/50 distilled water/antifreeze (Volvo or Walmart). Get the air out.

I had a coolent flush last year from the dealer.

Also, I just finished a cross-country trip where my car was heavily loaded and pushed really hard over the mountains at Flagstaff. I'm hoping that the liquid just boiled over a bit while being driven hard over those hills. I've been keeping an eye on the coolant level, and it hasn't changed at all since the trip.

I just checked and my coolant is green.

Ethylene Glycol it is. :)

Thanks for all the help, you guys.

Hey, what state are you in, Admin (Charles?)?

My coolant/antifreeze it at the minimum line.  I checked the manual and it says to only use "Volvo coolant/antifreeze".  I did a search for coolant, but nothing really came up.  The Volvo dealer charges $27 for a gallon of their special brew.  Can anyone tell me what brand of coolant I can use to add to my existing coolant which is the Volvo kind?

You can just add water to it for a top off. Volvo coolant is phosphate free meaning that it won't eat the plastic in the radiator. I use nothing but. However if you get a phosphate free coolant you will be fine.

I you are not going to use Volvo coolant make sure the coolant you decide to use has these ingredients; Ethylene Glycol, Diethylene Glycol, Sebacic Acid, Dodium Hydroxide, 2-Ethylhexanic Acid, Corrosion inhibitors, Defoamers and Silicates. The short version is Ethylene Glycol Based Coolant.

The above is taken from the maintenance write up.

http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/servicefwd.php

The list of ingredients is taken off the Label on the Volvo coolant. The green prestone is about as perfect a match you will find.

Charles lives in Florida. :)

Flordia has chimp's or was that photo taken at the Jackson plantation....what does Charles living in FL have to do with anything? :lol:  :lol: ..just struck me funny

DRC/Uganda has chimps. As for coolant I honestly dont use it unless I have to. I think I have something like 4:1 water to coolant. I only use enough coolant to give me a little extra boil over protection and protect from freezing down to 20 degrees. Kendalls car is the same with 200k on it, glt was same with 100k, T5R same 80k, BMW same 12k. Coolant is hype ;) Flush it out and use 2 dollar prestone and dont sweat it.... IMHO

Archived