Volvospeed Forums

Drive Cycle Instructions

RK850

I have seen a lot of people asking this again. I had the same problem in Oct 2004 and got it fixed and posted the instruction here. I'll post it again in case you can't find it.

If you are having trouble getting your 850 through state emissions test and the source of your frustration is ‘readiness’ codes that aren’t set, the following procedure from Volvo will help set the readiness codes.

Start with the vehicle cool, below 122 degrees F.

Turn off the air conditioning.

Select a location where the driving can be done without violating traffic laws and you can stop safely at the side of the road.

1. Start the engine and accelerate to approximately 1500-2000 rpm.

2. Drive for 6 minutes at 1500-2000 rpm.

3. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 70 seconds.

4. Accelerate to at least 45mph and drive for 5 minutes at 1800-2200 rpm.

5. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 60 seconds.

6. Accelerate to at least 45 mph and drive for 4 minutes at 1800-2200 rpm.

7. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 60 seconds.

8. Park the vehicle and turn off the engine.

This procedure must be performed TWICE from a cold start to set the readiness codes.

VST won't force the monitors, thats part of the problem. The VW can be forced through the monitors, I've watched them do it at my old job, but you can't do it with the VST. Would make it nice, do a repair, force the monitors, and then give the car back to the customer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dewey69usa

:D I found your info and applied it today. Worked great for my 97 Sedan. I called the dealership and they said that they could not get the information. I assume you were able to get a hold of a copy of Volvo Technical Service Bulletin #SB 2-23-0056 (7/2002).

VST won't force the monitors, thats part of the problem.  The VW can be forced through the monitors, I've watched them do it at my old job, but you can't do it with the VST.  Would make it nice, do a repair, force the monitors, and then give the car back to the customer.

Really the VST won't induce monitors?...thats intresting ;)

• 1 year later...

Man. I drove my car around for TWO HOURS today trying to get through three different OBD readiness routines I found on this and other Volvo sites without success. First off, does anyone know which one is the for-sure-right routine for a 1996 850 with a manual transmission? Even if I knew, my main problem is that I couldn't find any roads in DC, Maryland or Virginia where I could drive for extended periods without stopping and while still maintaining low speeds and closely monitoring my tach and speedometer. It's seriously dangerous! Volvo's directions boil down to driving 25MPH on a highway and then pulling over on said highway several times for minutes at a time! Perhaps if I had access to a closed course or a racetrack or something. Arrgg!

Is there no other way to do this? DC failed me for having "not ready" codes even after showing them the document from the EPA stating that 1996 Volvo 850's have a high rate of OBD "not readiness". My plates expire tomorrow and I'm desperate. Any ideas?!?!

Help!

Joe

Man. I drove my car around for TWO HOURS today trying to get through three different OBD readiness routines I found on this and other Volvo sites without success. First off, does anyone know which one is the for-sure-right routine for a 1996 850 with a manual transmission? Even if I knew, my main problem is that I couldn't find any roads in DC, Maryland or Virginia where I could drive for extended periods without stopping and while still maintaining low speeds and closely monitoring my tach and speedometer. It's seriously dangerous! Volvo's directions boil down to driving 25MPH on a highway and then pulling over on said highway several times for minutes at a time! Perhaps if I had access to a closed course or a racetrack or something. Arrgg!

Is there no other way to do this? DC failed me for having "not ready" codes even after showing them the document from the EPA stating that 1996 Volvo 850's have a high rate of OBD "not readiness". My plates expire tomorrow and I'm desperate. Any ideas?!?!

Help!

Joe

I just went on a 3 hour trip, and it finally tested ready--good luck!

Joe,

The early cars are a total pain..however if you repeat steps 1 through 3 as posted by RK 850 approx 4 to 5 times it should fly. BUT you must start STONE COLD after sitting over night. And you cannot stop in the middle of the drive sequence or you'll have to start over again. Now you could do steps 1 through 3 twice and then take a very loooong drive and it will probably go ready. In PA you need 5 out of the 7 monitors up for your year car so if you do as suggested you should get atleast 5?

Goodluck it can be a PITA

;)

Forgot to add DON"T SHUT THE CAR OFF till your done

Help!

Joe

There's a couple of ECU Monitor Reset procedures described in the pinned list of 'Usefull Threads...' above.

There's a couple of ECU Monitor Reset procedures described in the pinned list of 'Usefull Threads...' above.

I tried two different methods that I found on this and another forum. One is a chart made by Volvo that has two long sections of 20 minutes and the other is text directions that look like the above (with some additional commentary about what each part does). I live in a city though, and I don't know where I can drive non-stop for multiple increments of 6 minutes at 1800RPM (i.e. slow!).

Also, they say to have the air conditioning off. You say on?

Archived