Volvospeed Forums

Manual Swap Being Attemped Tomorrow

So here goes the swap to be started first thing tomorrow. Planned for 2 whole days on this.

1:Got my clutch and flywheel

2: new axles both sides

3: 302mm brakes

4: ipd sways

5: new parkingbrake cables to be installed

6: new calipers for the fronts

7: new ebc green stuff

hope this can go smoothly!!!

got my digi cam on hand to document as much as i can in this

I noticed in your sig that you are swapping the tranny out of a 93 GLT, correct?

That would make it a M56L, right? You do know that the M56H is recommended for a swap into a turbo car.

Just something to think about before you do all that work, I wouldn't want to see you have to do it twice.

sub frame assembly is off, 3 bolts on the trans is off of the auto...

drivers side suspension is off, passenger side suspension is off....

NOTE to all: make sure you buy new sway bar end links, just in cast the old farts are rusted on the car. I changed mine about 6 months ago and they rusted on (lucky i ordered them anyways phew)

also get new drive axles....mine LOOKED fine from the doner car until I looked more carfully.

Only 2.5hrs to get to this point...

more to come

thanks to anthonyr, i got the torque converter off. i used another method to move the engine... i used a screw driver and spun the flywheel 1 tooth at a time.

NOTE: you need a 17mm 12 point socket to get the flywheel off. Almost called it quits and found one in my installer's tool box!! hehehehe.

need a t50 to get the torque converter off

now my problem is trying to get my rear main seal out. mine was definatly leaking too!!!!

For the RMS, usually there is a tool that does it...but you could probably use a small pick to work it out...just try not to damage the surrounding area at all...

got the rms out using a pick tool like u said. Mine was very hard unlike the new one that is softer. figured out a trick to put the rms back in.....oil the rms and then use a rubber mallet and gently pound the rms in and them use the old rms and pound the new rms in all the way. i'm at the 40% mark i think, now it's time to reinstall everything. starting with the new clutch. and the front ipd sways since the subframe is out.

got the rms out using a pick tool like u said. Mine was very hard unlike the new one that is softer. figured out a trick to put the rms back in.....oil the rms and then use a rubber mallet and gently pound the rms in and them use the old rms and pound the new rms in all the way. i'm at the 40% mark i think, now it's time to reinstall everything. starting with the new clutch. and the front ipd sways since the subframe is out.

Well, maybe you are at 40%. Judging by recent problems with switches, it may take a few more days. Excellent progress though.

Well, maybe you are at 40%.  Judging by recent problems with switches, it may take a few more days.  Excellent progress though.

few more days??!?!?!?!?!

you crazy! well maybe i'm crazy......my trans is in now, i'm heading inside now.......inside the car to do the shifter......but i have to get it out of the other car first.....brb...hahahaha....

NOTE: Do not try to put a transmission in by yourself! PITA!

Also have handy a few 20lb bags of oil dry, trust me you'll need it

i give up for today! got the shift cables and shifter out of the doner car. the darn clutch cylinder is giving me a head ache to get out of the doner car. also need to remove the steering column to get the pedals out! then do it all again in my 855t

arrg.....hope this will be worth it!

For the pedals, what I did was take out the knee bolster (sp?) black thing has like 3 bolts or something..then took 2 bolts out of the mount for the steering rack so you can lower the steering to move the pedals out and in for install. No need to remove the whole thing...

The master cyl. is a bitch but taking it out of the car should be easy...just unbolt it then push it out from the inside...might be easier to have someone pulling at the same time if you can...

Then for install just do reverse (take the plate in the firewall out (two bolts or torx) ) then get it so the white plastic piece that clips onto the clutch pedal goes into the firewall then same thing...have someone push it through and have someone pulling it through in the inside (but you could probably just do this yourself if you get the beginning plastic piece through then go to the inside and pull through).

Also make sure you put the pedals in first before doing the master cyl, it will make it a lot easier on you.

I think that's about it...

Yeah, can definately be done it two days. I found my problem was a mis aligned flywheel, so def make sure you get that pin aligned right.

Like today I was able to completely remove the manual trans (and the car was 100% together and on the ground) and I got the trans out in 2 hours.

Also for future, best method for removing RMS is to take a smaller flat blade screwdriver and tap it in and to the outside a bit, then pry down and it'll pop out. And for reinstallation, he method works the best. I should have mine back together and goin tonight yet.

Also, you shouldn't have to remove the steering column, if you detach it's little bracket (2 bolts) it will move around a bit in there and you can press it up enough to sort of swivel the pedals around it.

Yeah, can definately be done it two days. I found my problem was a mis aligned flywheel, so def make sure you get that pin aligned right.

Like today I was able to completely remove the manual trans (and the car was 100% together and on the ground) and I got the trans out in 2 hours.

Also for future, best method for removing RMS is to take a smaller flat blade screwdriver and tap it in and to the outside a bit, then pry down and it'll pop out. And for reinstallation, he method works the best. I should have mine back together and goin tonight yet.

Also, you shouldn't have to remove the steering column, if you detach it's little bracket (2 bolts) it will move around a bit in there and you can press it up enough to sort of swivel the pedals around it.

thanks for the info guys, got back from the beach last night around 2:30am and now it is 8am and i am heading over to my AIR/Conditionded garage to get started on my car again!!! thanks for the info guys really!! I got so discusted on saturday that i just gave up, plus i was sore and a MOFO since i am doing all this solo.

the saga begins part duex!!

Archived