Volvospeed Forums

First Update On Bosch Projector Retrofit

Serge

Alex stopped by today and I finally got off my jerk and started to work on this.

We used a spare bowl I had laying around to test and see how to cut it right so that the projector fits.

I found that the best way to do it is cut around the little line that the reflector bowl has on the back (it's a little thin line running around the back). I used a cutting disc to make the initial cut and then used a stone grinding disc to take care of the rest.

It fits really well! After playing around with it, we set the glue and I have it in the garage curing as I write this.

Tools

IMG_3465.JPG

Dry fit w/o shield or shroud

IMG_3468.JPG

My cutting skills biatches

IMG_3471.JPG

IMG_3473.JPG

Alex found an interesting use for the dust created by cutting the reflector bowl (it smells like crap by the way).

IMG_3475.JPG

IMG_3476.JPG

So if you had to give this a difficulty rating thus far, what would you place it at?

It all depends on how comfortable you are with cutting stuff with a dremel and fabbing stuff out of various plastic pieces.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being changing an 850 stock deck and 10 being changing out pistons... this is like a 4.

Yea the begining is really easy. Mounting the projectors is a B. Also de-fluting lenses is ....dont even ask.

-MIKE D

Yep. Mounting and gluing the little posts that the projector screws into is a pain! I'm waiting for mine to cure.. but I think we used the wrong adheasive so I'm going to re-do it with JB Weld.

Yep.  Mounting and gluing the little posts that the projector screws into is a pain! I'm waiting for mine to cure.. but I think we used the wrong adheasive so I'm going to re-do it with JB Weld.

JB weld is good stuff. Hopefully the vibrations won't be too much for it. I have used it on a broken driver's mirror support and it has eventually cracked on me after a year or so.

FUDGE.. lol.. I accidently got alcohol on the reflector portion that won't be covered by the shroud so it's visible... oops!

Oh well, good thing this was a test bowl I was playing with, so no worries.

JB weld is good stuff.  Hopefully the vibrations won't be too much for it.  I have used it on a broken driver's mirror support and it has eventually cracked on me after a year or so.

The funny thing is, is that I used JB weld like 5 times then said screw it. Used JB weld/2 part epoxy/hot glue. It still was super scary to put the screws in even know I already threaded them. Ended up holding the posts in place with needlenose pliars while I put in the screws.

-MIKE D

The funny thing is, is that I used JB weld like 5 times then said screw it. Used JB weld/2 part epoxy/hot glue. It still was super scary to put the screws in even know I already threaded them. Ended up holding the posts in place with needlenose pliars while I put in the screws.

-MIKE D

If I can, I use something to reinforce the epoxy. In my case, I used a ziptie, then used JB Weld around it and it worked out pretty well. It all depends on what you are trying to do. I don't think Serge has much of a choice.

Archived