Volvospeed Forums

850 Passenger Airbag Dash Cover Repair

steve s

for those of u with 850 and the dash airbag covers have curled up at the edges, this is the repair for it.

u can order the part:

9195025: Cover plate gray

9195027: Cover plate blue

9195029: Cover plate beige

1) disconnect the battery, and just follow the directions on bay 13 to remove the dash on the driver's side. u may need to remove the a-pillar trim to help remove the dash.

2) to the right of the central vents, there is a plastic clip that holds the dash to the console.

3) remove the screws on the right, there should be 3 around the farthest vent on the passenger side. two of which is the same as the driver's side on the edges, the third is located under the dash speaker grill. don't need to remove that particular vent, but it may aid in installation by providing something to grip.

4) remove the glove box. removing the glove box light cover will provide leverage for u to pull out the glove box, u may need to use a down and out motion to clear the hook

5) remove the normal phillips screws behind the glove at the top of the opening facing u.

6) remove the two torx screws at the corners of the airbag under the dash behind the glove box.

7) disconnect the air bag wire and retaining clip for the wire (green arrow/circle below).

cover1.jpg

8) unbolt the 4 screws underneath the airbag (red arrows above).

9) push the airbag up and out to aid in removing the dash.

10) once u have the dash out and upside down, u can remove the airbag itself. remove the torx screws (green) and bolts (red). some of the torx screws on older models have special pins in the heads, so u may need a safety torx (or a name similar to something like that) to remove them.

cover2.jpg

11) remove this metal rivet (green circle) and metal clip (green arrow). be careful of the clip, as the plastic beneath will be fragile after 10 years.

cover3.jpg

12) u can pop out the airbag now. the metal holding the plastic on the airbag is probably fragile, so it'll break right off. the red highlights where the metal used to be.

cover4.jpg

13) this is the new one

cover5.jpg

14) there will be rivets stuck in the circled areas. this took most of my time.. my bit was too small to be secure on the dremel. i just used some flat pliers and patience and removed them.

cover6.jpg

15) place the new airbag cover on the dash trim. the metal piece on the cover slips into the gap, color sides are matched.

cover7.jpg

16) place the 4 rivets in place

cover8.jpg

17) place some silicon to hold down the latches on the two sides and remove the paper piece covering the double sided tape.

cover9.jpg

cover10.jpg

18) there will be some felt tape, use this to cover the red arrowed area

cover11.jpg

19) reinsert the airbag itself

20) add the last two rivets back to the corners of the airbag. u may need to drill new holes into the leather/foam flap part of the cover if the new cover doesn't supply them (look at the old airbag cover)

cover12.jpg

21) now may be a good time to look at ur instrument cluster to see if the teeth on the clips are missing, adding foam at the bottom of the cluster may stop rattling. also, new felt tape on the edges of the dash trim where it butts up to the bottom of the windshield may help ease noises.

22) reinstall everything and u'r done

cover13.jpg

Awesome write up!

Question - why can't the old one be fixed? Can't you just remove it and spray some 3M adhesive on the underside or whatever causes it to get screwed up?

Seems like the new cover will just do whatever the old cover did in a matter of time, unless Volvo fixed whatever defect caused it to get jacked up in the first place.

Question - why can't the old one be fixed? Can't you just remove it and spray some 3M adhesive on the underside or whatever causes it to get screwed up?

Seems like the new cover will just do whatever the old cover did in a matter of time, unless Volvo fixed whatever defect caused it to get jacked up in the first place.

yes, it probably will. and u probably can use some really sticky adhesive to re-attach the cover edges. however, i think the reason it peeled is because the "leather" part on top has strunk, and thus pulled up on the edges, causing the corners to curl up. so i don't think any adhesive would be strong enough to hold it down.

fcp didn't find the number i gave them. so i got it from cj (porsche/s60r brembo big brake kit)

pics of the old cover will come soon. it is not SUPER messed up, but unsightly at best.. been like that for a couple of years.. really annoying..

yes, it probably will.  and u probably can use some really sticky adhesive to re-attach the cover edges.  however, i think the reason it peeled is because the "leather" part on top has strunk, and thus pulled up on the edges, causing the corners to curl up.  so i don't think any adhesive would be strong enough to hold it down.

fcp didn't find the number i gave them.  so i got it from cj (porsche/s60r brembo big brake kit)

pics of the old cover will come soon.  it is not SUPER messed up, but unsightly at best..  been like that for a couple of years..  really annoying..

What about the procedure to connect the airbag back ?? Will the airbag light come on after the reconnect of battery and key in II position ??

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng

• 8 months later...

Archived