Volvospeed Forums

Cooling System Repairs Account- 1995 850 Turbo

NateB

FWIW & not intended to create any argument or controversy:

As reflected in my signature, I am the original owner of a 1995 Volvo 850 turbo sedan with now approx. 95K miles.

My original radiator began seeping it's green blood this past week-end at the typical seam near the upper radiator hose. Called on my dependable, honest and very good Volvo only indy shop manager and took the car in today for repairs. Picked it up a few hours ago with everything in tip top shape.

In addition to the radiator part # 8602562, I had Johnny replace as preventive maintenance the heater core volvo part # 9144221 ( which was also oem 10 years old). Good thing I did, as the original heater core showed signs of greenish seepage. While replacing the heater core, Johnny found that the heater coupling (part # 3522035) was corroded and replaced it as well.

The heater core hoses were inspected and were not in need of replacement.

Prices for the Volvo oem only parts were not inexpensive. I am well aware of the aftermarket alternative cooling system parts for the Volvo 850 and inquired to the shop about them. My shop's strong recommendation, based on several actual installation experiences, is to use ONLY the Volvo oem parts. Specifically, poor aftermarket radiator fitment issues ( requiring modifying the mounting holes) , poor fitment resulting in leaks at the AT cooler and oil cooler connection lines, and short term part failure. My shop will not install aftermarket cooling system parts at all due to these issues and quality of material issues.

Now I know many may disagree - and I certainly would have loved to save a few dollars on the parts. However, I have dealt with this Volvo only shop for many years and the shop manager is extremely honest and the work performed has always been outstanding.

Bottom line - these 5 cylinder turbo engines are prone to rapid seizure in a cooling system failure overheat situation. Why save a few hundred dollars on such critical parts?

Yes - I could have replaced the parts myself , but hey I just do not have the time these days with work, family and the need for personal time. What can I say- I am just getting to be an old dude whose personal time is at a premium.

by the way- My shop manager drives a 1994 Volvo 850 turbo wagon which has 251,000 miles on the original drivetrain ( he is a believer).

Guess I am committed to a few more years of ownership :) - that said, haven't driven another car yet that I enjoy more than my turbo 850 :D

NateB

Nice writeup, and justification. Aftermarket cooling parts are almost always a roll of the dice, unless you're just building race cars. I have a 96 855, and I'm sure I'll develop similar problems shortly. Already had a t-stat stick and blow a hose off 3 years ago! :blink:

Archived