Volvospeed Forums

Evaporator Job

Tom

I recently replaced the evaporator on my '94 850 wagon, and I've written out the steps I used as well as I can remember them, in case anyone else would like to try it. Since doing this, I've also done the receiver-drier, evacuated and recharged, and the system works very nicely. Most of these steps are thanks to some serious coaching on the part of Rich, Bay 13.

-Tom

------------------------

Parts list:

-Evaporator (Shop carefully for this, as some of the aftermerket ones have been known to fit poorly and cause trouble when installing the climate control unit.)

-O-rings: 2 for each fitting of the evaporator

-Heater-hose O-ring kit

-Tie wraps

-Pollen filter and holder, unless already equipped.

Steps for removing the evaporator from a left-hand drive car with manual climate control:

-Disconnect the battery.

-Remove the windshield wipers with their arms.

-Remove the wiper-well cover at the back of the engine compartment.

-Remove the drivers-side mounting bolt for the wiper linkage, and lower that end of the linkage to expose one of the dash bolt heads.

-Remove the pollen filter and holder, if equipped.

-Fold in the rubber at climate control intake.

-Disconnect the coolant hoses from the firewall, and remove the plate behind them.

-Remove the driver's side airbag from the steering wheel by undoing the torx bolts in the back of the wheel. (The bolts are a little sunk in, so you need a long thin torx bit.)

-Remove the steering wheel (mark its location relative to the shaft so that it can be reinstalled in the same position).

-Use the small screw that's inside the steering wheel to hold the air-bag contact reel in place.

-Remove the plastic cowling around the wiper and turn-signal switches. You will need a torx bit with a long thin extension.

-Remove the air-bag contact reel, wiper switch, turn signal switch.

-Remove kick panels from under the dash on each side.

-Remove the radio. Don't believe the Haynes manual when it tells you that this needs a special tool! You just push in the tabs at the sides of the front face, and they pop out and turn into little handles for pulling it out.

-(For manual climate control) Remove the heat and air distribution control knobs from the climate-control face plate. (You can leave the fan, A/C, and rec switches in place.)

-Remove the climate-control face plate, and disconnect the control box from the dash. You can leave the cables attached to the control box.

-Remove the ash tray.

-Remove the center console.

-Remove the glove compartment. The arms can be separated from the glove compartment door by prying a small screwdriver into the door just to the right of where each arm goes in.

-Remove the driver's side knee brace.

-Under the dash on the driver's side there are 3 big wire connectors: red, white, and black. Unplug only the red one. The clip for releasing it is on its end towards the front of the car.

-Next to the big red connector is a much much smaller black one - disconnect that as well. Disconnect the passenger-side airbag wire (exposed by the missing glove compartment).

-Undo 8 screws that hold the dash in place: One on each side side of the bottom of the dash near the center console, one on each front door sill, four from the top of the fire wall in the engine compartment.

-Pull the dash straight back, watch for wires or cables that are caught or still connected, and maneuver the dash over the steering column and out of the car.

-Remove the passenger-side knee brace.

-Separate all of the wiring from the passenger side of climate control unit.

-Remove the plastic side covers for the heater core.

-Remove the cruise control from the climate control unit and disconnect it from the accel pedal.

-Disconnect the climate-control drain from the tube in the floor.

-Remove the metal brackets between the climate-control unit and the floor, one bracket on each side of the center section.

-Remove the plastic X-shaped duct that connects the climate control unit to the rear floor vents.

-Remove the felt cover on the passenger side below the windshield.

-Remove the 6mm allen head screw that is next to the low-side A/C port.

-Discharge the AC system.

-Disconnect the evaporator lines at the firewall (special tool, available at most parts stores), and remove the plate behind them.

-Undo 4 bolts that attach the climate control unit to the firewall.

-Pull the climate control unit back from the firewall, down, and to the right.

-Remove the evaporator cover from the climate control unit, and remove the evaporator.

You can reinstall in more or less the reverse order. Here are a few notes on that:

-Take this opportunity to clean out the inside of the climate control unit which is accessible when the evaporator is out.

-When reassembling the the climate-control brackets, it is good to tighten them with the knee braces in place, so that those braces will go fit well when it's time to install them.

-Wiring needs to be checked as the dash is going in, especially the red and black connectors on the drivers side - they need to be helped over the bar that supports the steering column before the dash is in place.

-The best way to see if the dash is lined up correctly is to look at the trim at each door pillar. If that trim lines up correctly you should be there and the bolts that come through the firewall should grab the threads in the standoffs from the dash.

God Darn there are like 40 serious steps. How long did this take? I was thinking about doing this my self, but Iam now reconsidering.

Yeah, I was considering doing it myself too.

Instead, had my Volvo indy shop do it for about $1,200 a few years ago- well worth it to me to pay an expert to do this job.

YMMV- Good luck if you tackle the job !

Alright, this is a good start to a writeup.  As I will be doing this in the next couple of weeks, I will take pictures of each of these steps.  This will be the writeup to shame all others.

Lots of pics here at the bottom of tthe thread..

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=8235

The time line is missing a pile of images. You might just take those pictures that he was missing to complete the whole set.

Good Luck!

Alright, this is a good start to a writeup.  As I will be doing this in the next couple of weeks, I will take pictures of each of these steps.  This will be the writeup to shame all others.

Excellent.

God Darn there are like 40 serious steps. How long did this take? I was thinking about doing this my self, but Iam now reconsidering.

It took about a day and a half. If you decide to try it, there is a lot of support from people on this site.

think of all the other little jobs to do while in there, dash creaks, clean the drains, install a pollen filter, might even flush the coolant since it would be easier to remove the heater hoses. Clean up my stereo harness, etc, etc.........

by the way......I got the parts today should I start by posting pictures of the parts :D :D :D

think of all the other little jobs to do while in there, dash creaks, clean the drains, install a pollen filter, might even flush the coolant since it would be easier to remove the heater hoses. Clean up my stereo harness, etc, etc.........

by the way......I got the parts today should I start by posting pictures of the parts :D :D :D

Very little coolant comes out when you disconnect those heater hoses, as long as you rest them someplace where they aren't drooping too low. It's just as easy to focus on the rest of the job and flush coolant another time. Cleaning the drain is a good idea - wish I'd thought of that when I was in there. :blink:

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So is the evap what would cause the system to go dry ? my friends 855 has no freeon in it and befor i go pulling the dash i want to make sure that is the prob??

Thanks Pat

Archived