Volvospeed Forums

Popping Door Hinge

Mesoam

All the sudden my driver door started making this god awful popping sound when i open/close

i checked the 40mm torx and the 10mm (which are bolts, not studs on my car)

all are tight

it seems that the white circled hinge peice is moving causing the loud and obnoxious popping sound

all is lubed well e/t/c

i don't understand what has to be welded? in the repair on Rich's portion of the site

middlehinge.jpg

Guest AlvinL

Another possiblity... There's a roller just inside that runs along the strap as it goes in/out as you open/close the door. Check to see if it's siezed and causing that popping sound whenever it passes over the detent/bump that holds the door open halfway. I've seen this problem occuring in other cars that uses this system.

The inboard end of that central piece is fastened to a 'stay' and that is what flexes (inboard of what's visible.

Cheap repair: gitrdone.

done...works like a charm...some notes/comments

first off, that repair needs to be pinned or even better hosted on the VS site...its that important IMO

second, def use the magnet there's alot of debris

third, use the tape on the finger, another must

fourth, you will be stumped on how to hold the nut but never fear...

Take an old wrench appropriate for your nut on the back side and cut it down nice and small

Tape it to your finger and manuver your finger wrench over the nut

This is pretty much the only way to hold it tight enough to really get some torque on there w/o the nut spinning

PICS

Here you can see the repair of 2 bolts...to the left you can see the SMALL hole you have to work with to get to the back side of the bolts

repairandhole.jpg

here you can see my wrench finger....

wrenchfinger.jpg

Guest Guest

Heh, didn't realize this thread was current when I found it in the search. Guess it pays too look at date. Anyway, that looks like a great money saving fix. From the look of the break in the weld I have though I don't think it will work.

hinge5az.th.jpg

You can see that the weld at the back is broken, not the spot welds. :angry:

Guest Guest

Here's a higher resolution pic.

gallery_10011_220_46059.jpg

It looks to me like using 2 bolts to hold it won't work. I'm wondering if anyone knows how much it runs to get something like this fixed.

Local shop in Glendale did it for me for $100. Lifetime warranty. They re-welded it.

Archived