Volvospeed Forums

Replacing Lights Within The Radio?

On my 98 V70 AWD I find that a few of the preset lights on the radio have gone out (I think a few other lights as well.) How hard is this to replace? Does the whole stereo have to come out or is there a "cover" on the front of the stereo that can come off easily?

Thanks for any help.

It comes out. See the two skinny vertical cuts near the bottom corners? Pull. You can then access the interior carefully (watch out for those warranty seals).

The replacement of individual diodes is beyond my ken.

Here is a link to instructions for replacing the light bulbs in an SC-810.

<http://www.volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?showtopic=8357>

As the writer says, the process for the SC-816 is just a little different, in that 1) you have to remove screws from the face plate as well as pry the plastic latches off the stops on the chassis, 2) the bulbs are the newer type that are on a removable base, and 3) you'll need 5 ea. Chicago miniature bulbs #7219 (I got mine at Radio Shack 2/$1.49).

So when you remove the front plate, do so gently to be sure you have released all the screws--there's a little metal tab on the knob side that is held on by a screw--it's deceptive, since the metal tab is attached both to the face plate and to the chassis by a screw. I say deceptive, because I couldn't figure why the face plate wouldn't release after loosening the tabs and removing the screws that I could tell went through the plastic of the face plate; then I spied the little metal tab, took out the screw, and the faceplate came free.

Removing the circuit board is the same as the writer explains.

Take the bulbs out from the back side of the circuit board, and examine the base. You will see that each of the long bulb contact wires comes through the base and makes 2 wraps around the flange of the plastic bulb holder. The top of the flange is the area where contact is made with the circuit board. I used a sharp, pointed knife to remove the melted spots on the back of the flange where the wires are held on with the melted plastic. You'll know what I mean when you examine one. Cutting off that plastic makes it possible to dig out the end of the wire so you can unwrap the contact wires and pull the whole bulb + wire out through the front of the bulb holder.

Before installing the new bulb, be sure to take the blue cover off the old bulb and put it on the new one. Without the cover, the radio is way too bright and white at night.

Insert the new bulb's contact wires through the holes and wrap the new wires in the same pattern that the old bulb wires were installed. Be sure that you get clean side-by-side wraps on the top side of the flange with the new wires. Cut off the contact wire flush at the base at the same spot the old one was cut. Install the bulb.

I recommend that you replace all 5 bulbs when you're there--trust me, you don't want to do this again in a couple of months

Archived