Pcv Replacements Pics

lax01

Start:

IMG_2035%20copy.jpg

Throttle Body off (EGR exposed):

IMG_2036%20copy.jpg

Removal of Throttle Cable:

IMG_2040%20copy.jpg

Injector Removal (removal of fuel return hose)

IMG_2042%20copy.jpg

IMG_2044%20copy.jpg

IMG_2045%20copy.jpg

Intake Manifold Bracket (red circled 12mm bolt can be reached by moving dipstick, total PITA, and to make matters even worse, mine wasn't even connected to the manifold)

IMG_2049%20copy.jpg

STUPID-stripped Spark Plug Cover Torx bolt....hardest part of the job

IMG_2051%20copy.jpg

Intake Manifold Removal:

IMG_2053%20copy.jpg

IMG_2055%20copy.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmmm port and polished head and 3 angle valve job:

IMG_2056%20copy.jpg

Oil Trap and its connections:

IMG_2064%20copy.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

Non-Volvo Injector...anybody know what these are?

IMG_2068%20copy.jpg

Oil Trap Removed (lower 10mm bolt is a oh yeah! to get to)

IMG_2071%20copy.jpg

IMG_2072%20copy.jpg

Knock Sensors and valves:

IMG_2073%20copy.jpg

Cleaned up for the night

IMG_2077%20copy.jpg

Parts to be replaced:

IMG_2080%20copy.jpg

Uh-oh (repost)

IMG_2083%20copy.jpg

Parts in the Morning:

IMG_2086%20copy.jpg

Parts replaced:

IMG_2088%20copy.jpg

Re-assembled:

IMG_2091%20copy.jpg

IMG_2092%20copy.jpg

IMG_2093%20copy.jpg

Zero extra bolts left....all bolts replaced in their correct places...it took me awhile to figure everything out (especially the last bolt in the manifold (by the powersteering...that was a oh yeah! *hint* use to extensions on a 3/8 Ratchet)

Very satisified with my work...and I just saved myself $200 in labor...my hands are chewed up, but hey, it was fun

if anyone has any questions, please don't hesistate to PM me...but since most of you have already done this (which I'm assuming from the response from my first thread), I really should get too many questions....

:::I forgot about parts...I spent about $60 and replaced all the hoses except for the main hose which connects to the PCV valve on the intake hose before the turbo...and the oil trap...I cleaned both with carb cleaner and replaced the rubber connectors on it...i then blew them out with compressed air...I did the same with the oil trap...seemed to work fine...my vacumn is now at 19-20psi...

Head looks mostly stock to me. You can't see a 3 angle valve job (which is OEM btw anyways) with the valves closed.

Otherwise not bad, its easier (imo) to pull the return line from the metal fuel line, not at the FPR.

Head looks mostly stock to me. You can't see a 3 angle valve job (which is OEM by the way anyways) with the valves closed.

Otherwise not bad, its easier (imo) to pull the return line from the metal fuel line, not at the FPR.

not when their isn't a clamp on the other end I pulled ;) I replaced the clamp though

Did you clean the return channel to the pan inside the engine. with a metal wire?

Lots of these engine's show black sludge clogging the return channel

I stuck my finger in them and they didn't feel clogged....however, I didn't want to push anything inside the pan....but I didn't feel anything clogged also...

Thanks for the pics. I really would like to do this, but have been scared to attempt. I will probably do it while the R is in stoarge this winter.

yeah make sure you have some time to do it....you don't want to rush the job....you gotta figure out the intracies of how do it...and then its cake (just like everything else on the car)

• 3 months later...

Excellent write-up with pictures. Hope you don't mind that I made a WORD file out of your entire procedure and will be taking a print of out it to my mechanic as he is going to do this for my car this week. He probably doesn't need this, but just in case. If it speeds him up then I won't have to pay as much as he charges "actual" time to work on my car...which is actually very reasonable. Thanks again!

This is good and is added to the pinned section for 'FWD/AWD 1998 and Prior' under 'Volvospeed Useful Threads For Repairs'.

One thing to add. Obviously, there are variations for different years and engines. If you've never done this before, budget for yourself 5-6 hours, more or less depending on your capability. If you don't wish to dismantle the fuel rail from the intake manifold, disconnect the hard and flexible rubber fuel lines where they connect to the fuel rail. There is a cover on the fuel rail that unsnaps by pulling upwards so you can access the top manifold bolts. Depending on which way you go, buy a new rubber line and clamps if the old rubber line breaks or buy new seals and o-rings for your injectors.

My experience for this has been on a 93-850 GLT and my 95-850 T-5R. I had no choice on the 93 model but to remove the fuel rail because I couldn't get to the manifold bolts. Got it down to little over 3 hours the second time. If you're thinking of doing it, go for it. Get all the necessary parts before you start. Well worth the experience with ordinary tools.

Non turbo is similar except the large PCV line and smaller vacuum line goes a different route and towards the throttle body.

Archived