Volvospeed Forums

How To : Install A Est Short Shifter

First off, take out the ashtray and seat warmer buttons:

SS01.jpg

Then pry out the plastic peice thats in the center console. You'll need a 8MM socket.

SS02.jpg

then pull up and out on the console, making sure to disconnect the wires that are just underneath it. You'll also have to break the leather boot around the ebrake handle.. but don't worry, it looks fine when you put it all back together.

SS03.jpg

Then, take a 12mm socket and unbolt the left side support on the center console. Trust me, it'll make your life much easier in about 2 steps.

SS04.jpg

Next, undo the Clip seen here... DON'T LOSE IT.

SS05.jpg

Next up, take a screwdriver, and pry on the console support, as seen here by my lovely assistant Jake. Pop the side linkage out, it should come out easy...

SS06.jpg

Now, you can break that Ball Seat (the white thing) I hope you already bought a new one, cause it's Murder to get it out without breaking it. Cram a flathead screwdriver into the tabs, and smack it with a hammer... then pull the whole thing out.

Next up... Take the rubber boot out, set it aside... Then this is where it gets fun.. Take the OE shift knob, put it in a vice, and go to town, be careful not to cut the lil trim peice!

SS08.jpg

Now that you've got it all off, take the EST shifter, and take the ball off. Now you have to get the long rod to seat in the bottom linkage. This isn't easy. It took Jake and I about 5 minutes on his car, and about 30 minutes on my car.

We finally took a bastard file and rounded the edges off of the bottom Rod ball. Success! Shoutout to the NWC!

SS09.jpg

Now, you can put the console back on, and hook up all the wires.

SS010.jpg

Put the rubber boot, and the leather boot on, and screw down your new shift knob, and your're done. Go test it out!

SS011.jpg

thats my hand, and that wasnt even a cut from that job, old cut from a while ago and my hands just look like hell all the time from work

thats my hand, and that wasnt even a cut from that job,  old cut from a while ago and my hands just look like hell  all the time from work

GLOVES.jpg

your new best freind....I didn't think I would like wearing them at first, then you don't know how you worked w/o them

Just did mine last night too- kinda a PIA - I actually did it without breaking the white retainer thing....right up until I took a hammer to it on the install- 70bucks will have to be spent, i guess. The action is WAY better than the stock, which would almost hit the ash tray in 1,3,5 and the e brake in 2,4,r - WAY better!

I did this on my black C70. It was a major PITA. On my saffron C70 I simply cut about 1 1/4" (If I Recall Correctly) off the stock shifter and replaced the shift knob/boot. I can't tell much difference between the two! :blink:

by the way. The VMS transplant is almost finshed in my black C70. I hope to have it by the weekend!

jwm

I did this on my black C70. It was a major PITA. On my saffron C70 I simply cut about 1 1/4" (If I Recall Correctly) off the stock shifter and replaced the shift knob/boot. I can't tell much difference between the two!  :blink:

by the way. The VMS transplant is almost finshed in my black C70. I hope to have it by the weekend!

jwm

Fantastic! Jim, I know I've asked you this before, but size MOMO boot did you use?

Archived