Volvospeed Forums

Intake Write Up

Mesoam

So, there's not alot of options for aftermarket in the Volvo realm thats why creativity is key with these cars...

Dave (BlackS70) had done this intake setup on his car and has alot of pics but nothing really in the form of a write up.

I decided to use the same setup and take a bunch of pics along the way

This setup nets a mild gain in HP, a large gain in room within the engine bay and a HUGE gain in the CBV noise (sounds like a BOV)

So lets start with what you will need...

The intake piping is from AutoZone in the "ricer" section. Its a nice mandrel bent peice of ALM that is allready polished and ready to be put under the knife. Cost is arround $40

You will also need a filter. I DO NOT suggest you use the filter that is sold near these tubes (Spectre). It is not an oiled filter. The oil on a K&N (and any other oiled filters) is what traps the dust/dirt/junk from getting into your intake. There are ALOT of options for open element filters. You will need a 3inch inside diamater filter

I used this one which I had on my other 850 K&N Filter (yeah its pricey but you can find other washable filters arround)

Here is all the stuff (the extra peice of tubing is from a 240/740 intake to run straight into the end of the filter, not necessary if you don't have one laying arround)

TheStuff.jpg

First step is to remove the Air Box (give it a hard tug and it will come out). Disconnect the MAF from the Air Box (torx T25)

That will net you something that looks like this

RemovedAirBox.jpg

Second is to start the mach up. Put the tubing in place with the Scilicone Coupler on the end of the MAF. Put your filter on top of the tubing and measure how much you need to cut.

MachUp1.jpg

A good trick to make sure your cut is round is to take a peice of paper and match the ends then tape it down on the tubing. Clamp your tube in a vice with a rag arround it (if you have a vice, if not have someone hold it steady). After the cut you will have a VERY rough edge. Clean up the edge (this is called DE-BURRING) with a Dremel or file & sand paper. Also give the end a little scuff up to help the filter slide on a bit easier.

RoughEdge.jpg

CleanedUp.jpg

Now. You will notice on this tubing there are 2 "plugs" for use on other brand cars. We do not need these plugs, and the tubing does come with a cap and grommet. However I do not feel just pressing these on seals the plugs enough. To be sure they are sealed run a nice bead of scilicone arround the grommet and cap

TubePlugs.jpg

Scilicone.jpg

BE SURE TO TAKE YOUR TIME TO CLEAN THE TUBE OF METAL SHAVINGS! If there are shavings left they are going through your MAF and into the turbo which is just not good.....at all....

As long as you measured correctly you should be able to come back and put the pipe in place, attach the coupler to the MAF and attach the filter. Point the tubing at the front of the car where you now have a much less restrictive intake setup and tighten everything down

IntakeFIN.jpg

IntakeFin3.jpg

IntakeFin2.jpg

With stock intercooler piping it is a tight fit. Also alot of people might say "ohhh nice hot air intake" Well it has been proven by Bing0 that the filter does not get hot and gets plenty of cold air with a setup like this. His temp reading on the filter was 2deg warmer than the ambient temp after some hard driving.

As I also mentioned you will notice a dramatic difference in the CBV (compressor bypass valve) noise. It sounds much like a BOV (blow off valve) now. I do have 2 WAV clips of this difference but I need hosting, the files are 3.8mb each

Or if you can't wait, send me a PM with your e.mail and I will send them to you.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is the coldest air to be found within reach of a filter? Travis' looks like the ideal spot, unless you could run a pipe down to the front bumper just next to the foglight (which seems possible with the RIP kit so you aren't fighting through 2 factory IC tubes).

Where is the coldest air to be found within reach of a filter? Travis' looks like the ideal spot, unless you could run a pipe down to the front bumper just next to the foglight (which seems possible with the RIP kit so you aren't fighting through 2 factory intercooler tubes).

Now were talking.

As you've noticed, Im still running the EST intake cause I haven't really found an "ideal" intake for any of these yet.

Now were talking.

As you've noticed, Im still running the EST intake cause I haven't really found an "ideal" intake for any of these yet.

See, I had an idea to go along with that:

I have seen people with factory intakes or even the EST style with an added plastic pipe that runs down to that opening in the bumper and draws the air to the filter without the hassles of having to get the filter all the way down there.

I do want to get the EST intake because it is a clean + factory'ish look, but then I would probably try my idea too.

that still isn't as effective as a real ram air... altho it would work fairly well, i've seen kits for civics where they have the air intake where the intercooler would be, with an optional cover, that you can put on when it rains, but still have a small gap so that the air can still be "pulled" thru the gap.

It works pretty good...

My intake cost me $40...what did everyone else's cost...

Its effective and looks nice...

That is really the only spot where cold air rushes into the engine bay and the first thing it hits is the filter...

So many haters...

Archived