Volvospeed Forums

Problem With A Shop.

TheMadChigga

One thing, I havn't drop my car off to a shop for a long time, simply I can't trust them. Now this has even got me more furious. And I won't mention the shop's name right now, but its a somewhat semi-known Volvo shop in the Golden Horse shoe.

In 2004, I bought a 15G that was meant to be used on my car, I was looking for someone to help me out with that, then at the London show I notice someone was using my car's photo on the ad, and it was the shop's ad, so I figure may be they'll hook me up since they didn't ask for my permission and such.

dropped the car off, got a call saying that the hot side was badly crack (it was ported too), so they can't swap 'em, all in all, I paid 'em lousy $200 in labour for taking my stock turbo off and put it back on, worst of all, when I got the car back, I notice it was really really slow. At that summer I did 14.7 @ Cayuga before visiting the shop, after that, I did 16.7, there's gotta be something wrong, and the only thing was touched was the turbo. I become suspicious of the shop's workmanship.

fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I sent my 15G turbo that I bought last yr to Mike, thelostartof with a spare wastegate in exchange of something, I thought the 15G requires simple casting swap. When he received the item and open it up, the centre catridge casting is fubar'd, like completely gone, so I basically wasted $33 on shipping to send Mike a piece of junk that he can't use.

What makes me really angry is that it is very obivious about the shop's shaddy workmanship and mess up my stuff. If the shop owner is reading this, well, here's what I gotta say to you, Red blocks don't suck, don't tell me the BS about how v8 is the ultimate engine in a Volvo and you really shouldn't touch any Volvos because quite frankly, you have no idea what the hell you are doing. And if you ever use my photos again, I will file a law suit against you.

I don't want to bother, the turbo is in Arizon and I'm in Toronto, it just really pissed me off that they totally mess'd up my turbo and they think they are a "good" shop.

I really want to bring their name up and warn others, cause they obviously don't have the ability to earn customers' trusts. The owner keep telling me how the red block is really bad and v8 is the only way to go fast, in fact, I had to correct him about certain stuff on whiteblocks, he said you can easily swap in the S90 drivetrain and bolt up the twin turbos and drive off. <_<

I don't want to bother, the turbo is in Arizon and I'm in Toronto, it just really pissed me off that they totally mess'd up my turbo and they think they are a "good" shop.

I really want to bring their name up and warn others, cause they obviously don't have the ability to earn customers' trusts. The owner keep telling me how the red block is really bad and v8 is the only way to go fast, in fact, I had to correct him about certain stuff on whiteblocks, he said you can easily swap in the S90 drivetrain and bolt up the twin turbos and drive off. <_<

You should have told him to do it and charge you only 2 hours labor then. :P

Uh-oh. The 854R 5-spd I bought from Toronto was serviced by this shop before I purchased it. According to the seller, the shop repaired the A/C, brakes, ignition switch and various minor doo-dads which seem to be working fine. The car seems to run well and easily revs high but is not boosting much - only getting 2-3psi when I floor it. I'm changing the vac hoses now and the Samcos are arriving soon. The turbo area is heavily gunked up esp in the CBV and air intake area - needed a putty scraper to loosen the crud. I don't know if the turbo is shot but there isn't any signs of oil leaks under the car, turbo line and rms area. I hope the shop did not fubar or put in a malfunctioning 16T in the car. Any advise?

can be lot of things, may be the wastegate actuator is bit funny.

one advise, don't buy used turbos, I'll never buy them used again, the headaches they give you just isn't worth the money you saved. I'd rather just spend anywhere between $600-1200 and get a brand new one and be happy.

correction, don't buy used turbo's from Non volvospeed members.

Actually, I was trying to "reset" my wastegate yesterday as per ipd method and thought I did something stupid - which was to turn the *entire* rod (ie. tip to inside the actuator) and not just the tip because it was rusted in place. After numerous turns, the rod wouldn't shorten so I kinda felt something was not right. PMed DougK, EricF and Mesoam as they were online and they said nothing was changed by turning the entire rod. Anyway, I tested the actuator with a bike pump and it does move outwards at low psi. Anyway, I'll see how the turbo reacts with the new hoses in place.

Actually, I was trying to "reset" my wastegate yesterday as per ipd method and thought I did something stupid - which was to turn the *entire* rod (ie. tip to inside the actuator) and not just the tip because it was rusted in place. After numerous turns, the rod wouldn't shorten so I kinda felt something was not right. PMed DougK, EricF and Mesoam as they were online and they said nothing was changed by turning the entire rod. Anyway, I tested the actuator with a bike pump and it does move outwards at low psi. Anyway, I'll see how the turbo reacts with the new hoses in place.

I bet you 10 dollars they have your turbo set up like this:

Outlet from the compressor housing plugged directly into the wastegate. Thatll only give you 2-3psi off boost. Sounds like they bypassed the BCS.

Outlet from the compressor housing plugged directly into the wastegate. Thatll only give you 2-3psi off boost. Sounds like they bypassed the BCS.

Actually, the vac hoses are hooked up correctly - yellow from BCS goes into actuator, blue into MAF, red into compressor housing and the hose from the CBV into the intake mani. I could not reach the red hose going into the compressor even with the car on Rhino ramps. Tried to remove the CBV but couldn't reach the bottom 10mm bolt. The bottom of the compressor was pretty gunked up esp where the hard plastic pipe connects to the turbo. Is this normal or not a good sign?

Thanks.

one advise, don't buy used turbos, I'll never buy them used again, the headaches they give you just isn't worth the money you saved. I'd rather just spend anywhere between $600-1200 and get a brand new one and be happy.

i wouldnt buy a used turbo personally.

Archived