Volvospeed Forums

Boost Gauge Install (different)

Mesoam

As some of you may be aware the single pod available for our car's doesn't fit really well. The best bet is to blend it into the A-pillar but I had no intention of spending that much time or driving arround w/ my A-pillar off

So I pondered for a little bit on how to come up with a better solution than my temporary "heavy duty velcro" on the dash, which was really bugging me.

I decided to custom mount the universal gauge cup to the A-pillar. Quite easy if you have the time/resources.

The universal gauge cup I used had a round base in which a "swivell ball" used to sit so you could adjust the gauge on the stand every which way.

I proceded to dremel/sand/smooth the bottom of the universal cup till it matched the contour of the A-pillar

THIS IS WHEN YOU DECIDE WHERE TO MOUNT IT. Because you can match the contour of the pillar at any angle you wish. I wanted it a bit tilted up to keep it out of my eyes e/t/c.

I used 2 part epoxy to seal 2 peice bottom

I then epoxy'd a nut into the bottom of the universal cup as to have something to thread a bolt into to hold the cup in place.

BE VERY GENEROUS with the epoxy to hold the nut in, or else it will crack and the nut will come out you don't want just a little seal but rather pretty much the wall of the nut surrounded in the adhesive to assure its strength

LET THE EPOXY SET! If you use 4 minute let it set for atleast 1/2 hr...Just my rule of thumb

Drill a hole into the pillar where you previously chose to mount the pod and stick the gauge back in

Done...

What you have is a pretty nice install IMO. Now, you could run the wires through a hole/grommet combo in the pillar, don't do anything and let the wiring hang or even do like me and wrap it in heat shrink tubing and just run it back under the A pillar.

The ghetto, velcro pod

GHETTOBOOST.jpg

The bottom of the universal cup

GAUGECUPBOTTOM.jpg

The cup mounted on the pillar

CUPONPILLAR.jpg

Installed

INSTALLED.jpg

yes, it is exactally where i wanted, like i said it all depends on how you want/how you sand/ smooth/contour

its really not hard to see whatsoever. Like i said you can turn it/contour it any way you like.

I allways have my head in the headrest and its really a perfect spot, i wish i had a wide angle lens so you guys could get a better feeling of the view

and actually I don't have rear fogs, I took them out, I think they are pointless BUT my front fogs are on :)

Archived