Volvospeed Forums

How To Make 30 Whp In 3 Easy Steps

Slater

How to make 30 WHP and 40 ft-lbs of torque in 3 easy steps:

Step 1: Remove your upper timing cover.

step1.jpg

Step 2: Bolt on QBM Adjustable Camshaft Timing Wheel and adjust.

step2.jpg

Step 3: Enjoy your new found FREE power.

dyno.jpg

dynotorque.jpg

Here's a closeup of the timing wheel:

wheel.jpg

closeup.jpg

closeup2.jpg

Features:

- Easy and install and use with nothing but a 10mm socket and torque wrench

- Aircraft aluminum and TIG welded construction

- Seperate timing marks for intake and exhaust camshaft

- Laser etched timing marks; accurate to within +/-0.01 degree

- Detailed installation and use instructions

- Lifetime guarenteed

Works on the following models:

- 91-97 960 (all models)

- 93-97 850 (all models)

- 97-98 V90, S90 (all models)

- 98-00 S70 (all models)

- 98-05 V70, V70XC (all models)

- 98-04 C70 (all models)

- 00-04 V40, S40 (all models)

- 01-05 S60 (all models)

- 99-05 S80 (all models)

- 03 XC90 (all models)

The dyno was done on my car (stock T-5R) with no other changes except cam timing changes. Multiple runs were performed to make sure results were averaged. Note the HP gains are UNDER THE CURVE, not peak. So for example the 20-30WHP gain is at every point over a large rpm range. The car accelerates much faster now. This is power you can feel folks. Yes, there are minor losses elsewhere, as with any cam timing changes. The key is to make sure the GAINS far exceed any losses, so you end up with a net positive gain. As you adjust your cam you'll find that some cam settings will give you all gains with no losses. Other settings will give you all losses and no gains. Still other settings will give you some of both (as you can see above). The key is that you try multiple combinations until you have the results that you want. The cam settings are very sensitive to changes. A 0.5 degree change one way or another can make the difference between making 10 HP and losing 10 HP. That is why the timing wheel is so important. Without it you have no idea what you are setting the cams to. With it, however, you can see EXACTLY what changes you're making.

Of course your results are best done on a dyno since no 2 engines will respond the same to the exact same cam timings, but this just goes to show you the "secrect" HP potential that is waiting to be unlocked in your car. No idle problems at all (-20inHg before and after runs). NA cars will respond to cam timing changes as well (I was able to get 6 WHP on a non-turbo V70 with no other changes).

The stock camshaft pulleys are slotted for 15 degrees of total timing adjustment. The problem is that the pulleys are not marked so you have no idea where the camshaft timing is set. This degree wheel provides that measurement in 1 degree increments, so you know exactly where each camshaft is set. That makes adjusting the cam easy. I was able to dial in my cams for max power in under 30 minutes on the dyno, and it cost me $50. Who here would pay $50 for 30 WHP? I would. That is why dynoing is key. You can even use a G-Tech, stopwatch, or OBD-II road dyno if you don't have access to a real dyno.

Questions? Comments?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm very interesting. What are the long term effects, if any from having this...aka more wear and tear on the engine?

-MIKE D

The camsaft gears are slotted from the factory, so they are meant to be adjusted. It's just most people don't do it (many Volvo mechanics do though).

There are absolutely no long term effects as long as your engine is in a good state of tune. If you put in crap gas and you have massive vacuum leaks and you're burning 3 qts of oil a day, you have bigger problems than this and I wouldn't be thinking of playing with my cam timing for more HP if you know what I mean.

But playing with camshaft timing is a very safe venture, especially because the stock cam pulleys are pre-slotted (+/- 7.5 degrees). Volvo already determined what is "safe" and you cannot exceed that 7.5 degree safety factor. In fact, the camshafts settings are more than likely detuned from the factory as are most cars. Isn't that why we install free flowing exhausts, downpipes, ECU upgrades, intake filters, etc?

Cam timing affects how the engine breathes. By changing the camshaft timing you are changing how much fresh intake air is being pulled in and when, how completely it burns in the combustion chamber, and how much and when it gets emptied out the exhaust.

Adjustable camshafts are nothing new. You can get them for most cars on the road. We are just lucky in that Volvo pre-installed a set for us! We just needed a way to unlock their hidden potential...

another question, does having other mods, like mine, 16t, intake, full 3" exhuast, chip, affect the outcoming of this mod? :)

b

Of course. ANYTHING you have done to your car will affect the outcome. You may get even MORE power than me. That is why there isn't a "cookie cutter" setting for your cams. YOUR cam timing has to be optomized for YOUR car with whatever mods YOU have on it. Got it?

Again, cam timing tuning is nothing new. You can do it to any car on the road except 100% VVT vehicles.

In general, DOHC cars like ours respond very well to cam timing changes because you can adjust the camshafts independently from one another. Ususually on DOHC cars you can get big gains like I did with little to no losses. On SOHC cars, however, you typically can only shift the WHOLE POWER CURVE up or down. You usually can't just adjust the timing and get big gains.

That is why we are so lucky. DOHC + factory installed adjustable camshaft pulleys = free HP.

by the way, what settings did you find that you liked?

You'll have to PM me for that info. If I publically post it, I can see someone buying a timing wheel, being lazy and not going to the dyno and just using whatever settings I did (thinking that they will work for their cars too). Then they may not get the exact power gains I did and all the sudden I'm the bad guy.

Sweet man, I remeber you telling me you were working on something (as I have been too) for the cam gears. I like it, simple but very effective.

:D

Thanks! The key is the accuracy. The laser etched marks were not cheap, but they were the only way to guarentee 100% accuracy and reliability.

NA cars will respond to cam timing changes as well (I was able to get 6 WHP on a non-turbo V70 with no other changes).

So when you say, "no other changes", do you mean on a stock NA or do you mean you didn't fine tune the camshaft as you did with your T5.

Basically can it be possible to get more than 6WHP on a NA?

Thanks

Archived