Volvospeed Forums

Etm Installation

howardc64

Decided to clean my ETM tonight on the 01 V70 T5. Got the ETM off and cleaned it.

The new gasket (between ETM and intake manifold) has a extruded ring on one side, does anyone know which side this mates to (ETM or intake manifold?)

Taking the turbo hose feeding the ETM off was tough. But I found a good trick, put a screw driver over the hose and push down. It is the only way to get good leverage and the force on the thing.

Looked at the old gasket for hint and can faintly make out that extruded ring bump side faces the ETM. The concave ring side faces the intake manifold.

Got everything back on and car runs better (more reponsive + power) as others have reported. Can anyone explain why it would run better?

Could the minimal amount of gummy stuff on the throttle body walls + butterfly actually provide resistance to the motor that turns the butterfly? Seems pretty sensitive to me if this was the case.

Or is more reponsiveness coming from reseting the ETM computer memory? If this is the case, it is a lot easier to unplug/plug ETM connector than all this removal/installation.

Thanks to flippu10 for giving lots of tips. The hardest part was definitely removal (until I figured out the trick) and reattaching the turbo pipe to the ETM. During reattachment, the pipe barely fits over the ETM opening so everything has to be aligned perfectly and applying force while all in blind.

Is there a link that describes how to remove the ETM? Did you have to remove the intake manifold?

Intake manifold didn't have to come off. But some of the steps are working blind by feel under the intake manifold.

Search for flippu01's posting "Turbo Throttle Body Cleaning". He also emailed me lots of good info/tips + I learned a few more along the way. I took some pictures and am thinking about writing something up.

Intake manifold didn't have to come off. But some of the steps are working blind by feel under the intake manifold.

Search for flippu01's posting "Turbo Throttle Body Cleaning". He also emailed me lots of good info/tips + I learned a few more along the way. I took some pictures and am thinking about writing something up.

Please do! I'd love to read it.

Wrote it up and like to get some feedback before finding a way to post a 2MB PDF file. Email me at howardc64@gmail.com if you want to look it over and provide initial feedback.

i'll host it. send it to gr8gatzby at gmail dot com

Got another "Performance Reduced" message at highway speeds and all of my performance improvements after ETM cleaning went away.

So I disconnected the ETM and battery for about an hour and the improved performance was back after reconnect. Haven't try to just disconnect the ETM to see if that alone does the trick.

So in my case, it is pretty clear the ETM cleaning wasn't the trick for the performance improvement. Rather, it was the computer reset. I guess I still need to trace down what is causing the "Performance Reduced" message.

After this experience, I'm thinking ETM cleaning doesn't do much. The throttle butterfly is under a fair bit of springed tension. Much more than any resistence might be offered by slight oily film in my throttle body. In my case, I had lower performance even with a cleaned throttle body. The process of cleaning simply reset the computer.

For those who want to try this, I haven't yet determined if the ETM and battery disconnect are both necessary. To disconnect the ETM, use the following picture. The entire plug assembly actually slides off to make it easier for you to dis/reconnect the ETM.

etmdisconnect3of.jpg

Guest Guest_Mike_*

You aren't fixing anything. You'r ETM will fail eventually. That "wind resistance" description is perfect - exactly how I would describe my S70 circo 80k miles or so. By 95k it became a more serious issue.

You aren't fixing anything. You'r ETM will fail eventually. That "wind resistance" description is perfect - exactly how I would describe my S70 circo 80k miles or so. By 95k it became a more serious issue.

Yes, I'm guessing that is what will happen to me. I'm probably experience early phases of the ETM failure. Plan to buy a OBD II reader to see what I can find out next time I encounter "Performance Reduced" message.

In short, my directions just says "ETM cleaning probably doesn't help". Clearing computer codes can make the performance improve in the near term but still need to find out the real culprit behind the error message.

If you can figure out it is the ETM problem and want to do you own ETM replacement (still need to tow car t dealer for programming after replacement), then this direction can help you.

Archived