Volvospeed Forums

Removing Window Tint

FINN

Since i have now been receiving many inquiries about tint removal, i decided to do a write up.

I've had mine on for about a year and a half. Anyways, heres what i used:

-heat gun

-simple green (automotive cleaner)

-a hard bristle brush

-ammonia window cleaner

-lots of those blue shop towel (comes in a blue paper roll at autozone)

DSC03477.jpg

Process: EXPECT TO SPEND ABOUT 2-3 HOURS ON THE REMOVAL, SLIGHTLY MORE IF YOU'RE REMOVING FRONT TINT ALSO.

Make sure your car has been sitting in the sun to the point where your windows are really warm or hot as this softens the tint adhesive from the window. I used the heat gun to heat the outside part of the window to aid this process.

Then i just found a corner to peel and started to pull slightly on the tint. As i pulled the tint, i would spray the ammonia cleaner constantly in the crease between the tint and the glass. Theres going to be adhesive parts that dont peel off with the tint and I'll get to that in a bit. I didnt have too much trouble with the tint ripping into many pieces but it did happen.

Once the tint was gone, there was adhesive residue on the window in places. This is where the hard bristle brush will come in handy. Soaking parts of the window with simple green, just scrub away with the brush and wipe clean with the shop towels (i ended up using about half a roll in the end).

Once all the adhesive is gone start cleaning the windown with your ammonia window cleaner. It took me many sprays and wipes to completely clean the window off.

For the rear window with the defroster:

Now i dont know if i got lucky because my tint was not an eternity old but, i didnt have problems with this either. The brush "should'nt" damage the defrost lines. Just make sure you brush horizontally not vertically against the lines. Should be as simple as that if you follow the above steps.

*I read into this before i attempted to remove the tint and many pros said to warm the window up with a black garbage in the sunlight. I just replaced this method with the heat gun. BE SURE NOT TO HEAT THE WINDOW UP TOO MUCH AS IT MAY CRACK.

Another option without heat is to go out and pick up some spray can 3m adhesive remover. To get the tint to pull off in one long pull try to remove the tint at a 90 degree angle from the glass. Spray window after peeling old tint off. Let it sit for 5 minutes and re-spray it once more. Then take a plastic putty knife. Scrape from the top down with paper towels sitting at the bottom. Work from the back to the front of the window. On windows with defrost lines or antenna DO NOT use a scraper or a razor blade. Use 0000 steel wool and work in 6" x 6" sections. Again work from top to bottom. Also remember to go with the defrost lines. This is how I removed the tint on my previous car after I was required to peel it for state troopers. I also got this method from a friend who tint's for a custom paint shop. The only time you need to have heat is when you want to re-tint the windows.

already done.. did it tonight.. OMG you need to see my car without them, + rear wing + v90 wiper.. HOTT, i do all my mods just after meets.. haha.

I must see this, tomorrow night? B)

Garment steamers work great too. And they don't stink your car up like ammonia & Simple Green. :D

Easy, just peal up an edge give it some steam and off it comes! Careful though, steam burns, wear gloves...

Since i have now been receiving many inquiries about tint removal, i decided to do a write up.

-heat gun

-a hard bristle brush

-ammonia window cleaner

DSC03477.jpg

Process: EXPECT TO SPEND ABOUT 2-3 HOURS ON THE REMOVAL, SLIGHTLY MORE IF YOU'RE REMOVING FRONT TINT ALSO.

Make sure your car has been sitting in the sun to the point where your windows are really warm or hot as this softens the tint adhesive from the window. I used the heat gun to heat the outside part of the window to aid this process.

Then i just found a corner to peel and started to pull slightly on the tint. As i pulled the tint, i would spray the ammonia cleaner constantly in the crease between the tint and the glass. Theres going to be adhesive parts that dont peel off with the tint and I'll get to that in a bit. I didnt have too much trouble with the tint ripping into many pieces but it did happen.

Once the tint was gone, there was adhesive residue on the window in places. This is where the hard bristle brush will come in handy. Soaking parts of the window with simple green, just scrub away with the brush and wipe clean with the shop towels (i ended up using about half a roll in the end).

Once all the adhesive is gone start cleaning the windown with your ammonia window cleaner. It took me many sprays and wipes to completely clean the window off.

Now i dont know if i got lucky because my tint was not an eternity old but, i didnt have problems with this either. The brush "should'nt" damage the defrost lines. Just make sure you brush horizontally not vertically against the lines. Should be as simple as that if you follow the above steps.

*I read into this before i attempted to remove the tint and many pros said to warm the window up with a black garbage in the sunlight. I just replaced this method with the heat gun. BE SURE NOT TO HEAT THE WINDOW UP TOO MUCH AS IT MAY CRACK.

Natural Ice helps you deal with the smell from the ammonia and SG :lol:

you guys are failing to mention that it's the Natural Ice that does all the work in this equasion.

For the price of that heat gun you can buy either of the following and save a ton of time:

http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?w...av-_-Top_search

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...th=89*107*2551*

yeah not too many people have steamers though. simple green and invisible glass "ammonia" dont give off bad scents.

-heat gun

-a hard bristle brush

-ammonia window cleaner

DSC03477.jpg

i work in a clean up bay at a dealership and when they bring down a car for inspection with too dark tint... all i do is catch a corner with a razor blade and peel it up... i would get a little tab and keep pulling until the tint comes off... then when it is all off, spray the window with glass cleaner and use the razor blade to scrape the glue off... it is time consuming but it is less stuff to use... when you get to the defroster, use a metal blade to get the edge of the tint off, then pell, then use a plastic razor blade to get the glue off...

-heat gun

-a hard bristle brush

-ammonia window cleaner

DSC03477.jpg

i work in a clean up bay at a dealership and when they bring down a car for inspection with too dark tint... all i do is catch a corner with a razor blade and peel it up... i would get a little tab and keep pulling until the tint comes off... then when it is all off, spray the window with glass cleaner and use the razor blade to scrape the glue off... it is time consuming but it is less stuff to use... when you get to the defroster, use a metal blade to get the edge of the tint off, then pell, then use a plastic razor blade to get the glue off...

Peel and scrape was the old method and it still works great. You just need to be real careful on the curved glass to go up and down and not side to side or you might scratch the glass. Don't drag your razor, only push. Also make sure you to put a little dish soap or baby soap in your water/ammonia mix and make sure your blade is sharpe or you will sratch the glass. The ammonia will make the adheasive turn to the consistancy of snot so scraping the rear defogger with the plastic blade is not that hard. Have fun! :)

Oh, one more tip. Drink the beer after you play with razor blades not before...

Archived