Volvospeed Forums

Do I Need To Add Water To My Coolant!?!

ThaBigO

Maybe... You have to read the container the coolant comes in. It will specify weather or not you need to hadd H20. You can buy a pre mixed solution or undiluted. The pre mixed solution is for people who are too stupid to realize they are getting ripped off.

If you are going to to a coolant flush, you will want to add distilled or de-ionized H20 to prevent any added minerals to the engine cooling system.

dam im not sure then if i needed to add water. i already put 1 gallon of the Coolant in. So i have another gallon of Distilled water ready to put it in. But im not sure i went to the website but it doesnt really hellpe me. can someone help me out here please! the website is http://www.peakantifreeze.com/

Thanks,

Orlando

and Under Refill on the Intrucstions of the Coolant it says "Fill with enough New Coolant to achieve 50/50 Antifreeze/water mix.

Oh well i think im just going to add the Distilled water. WHen i was at pep boys looking at which Coolant to get i notice that other ones said "DO NOT ADD WATER"". THe coolant i got does not say that. So i Assume it needs the 50/50 Mix. Another Thing is that, will it be ok just to ADD the water. Or does it HAVe to be MIXED?

Thanks,

Orlando

Check out the products listing on the web link you posted. You'll notice that each product is described as either an "antifreeze and coolant" or a "50/50 diluted antifreeze and coolant." If the container you purchased is simply "antifreeze and coolant" you need to dulte it with water. If it is one of the "50/50...." labels it is already diluted. From the portion of the instructions you quoted, my best guess is that you do not have the already diluted product.

Bill

The main reason you need to mix your coolant is eythl glycol does not have the cooling power/properties that water does. You can actually run straight antifreeze and if you just drained the radiator and not the entire system 1 gallon of straight prestone won't hurt

Um yea.... too bad i did drain the whole system. The Radiator and the other plug that i was suppose to drain thats behind the oil pan. (it was in the Bay 13 Maintence/repair on the How to change your ECT sensor and Thermostat.) So i followed those directions. I couldnt change my Thermostat or my Ect Sensor though because of that one 40 mm Torx Screw. Its a PITA!! Its kinda Stripped so i dont know what im going to do about that.

Whats the tester called and how do you use it?

Also when can i top off the Radiator Fuild. Should i check it every morning or whenever the engine has been off for a couple of hours? Is it safe to put it in while the engine is on? What about using the heater wil that make a difference if i use it or not? What is the exact reading of how much Radiator Fuild i have in the Tank? Is there a certain time that it wil be more accurate then the other?

Thanks,

Orlando

Have you ever worked on a car before? The tester is called an anti-freeze tester. It has a cylinder that has several balls that float in coolant taken from your overflow tank. Depending on how many float, you look at the chart on the handle and read. Wala, your coolant protection in degrees. Filling car after draining. Top off radiator to 1 inch below top and leave cap off. Start car, turn heat on,run car till heater is warm. Check upper radiator hose for heat. When the upper hose is warm the themostat is opening. You want to have that open and then fill to top and install radiator cap. Fill overflow tank to full. Check it again in a couple of days . Your ok for awhile.

Maybe... The pre mixed solution is for people who are too stupid to realize they are getting ripped off.

Actually the 50/50 is really good for topping off and were really not to stupid just conscientious of our time consumption. :P

A long-shank T40 bit is needed for the thermostat housing bolts.

I drain and flush my cooling system several times with plain water, then close it up, add a gallon of antifreeze, and top off with distilled water. I've never been able to get all the water out of the system. I used Zerex G-50 gold antifreeze this time...I'll see if it gives longer than two year life before the corrosion inhibitors are depleted. I've found that the best way to fill the cooling system with fewest air pockets is to remove the radiator hose from the thermostat housing and fill both there and the plastic reservoir.

Ken

ok thanks alot for the info guys. It really helps. Greatly Appricate it! And for the Thermostat. I did use a T40 Torx Bit screw, and i couldnt Get it off. Will it help if i try and get it lose with the Engine and heater on? (I know that when i changed my o2 Sensor Warming up the car first helped alot).

Thanks,

Orlando

ok thanks alot for the info guys. It really helps. Greatly Appricate it! And for the Thermostat. I did use a T40 Torx Bit screw, and i couldnt Get it off. Will it help if i try and get it lose with the Engine and heater on? (I know that when i changed my o2 Sensor Warming up the car first helped alot).

Thanks,

Orlando

Heat will help. Soak overnight with PB Blaster (oil that breaks down rust in an aerosal can).

Peak in the Blue Jug is all coolant. Peak in the White Jug is pre-mixed.

Ignore the taunting answers. Keep asking questions. It is your car. If you are not 100% sure, it is better to ask, than make a big mistake!!!

Archived