Volvospeed Forums

Let The Metamorphisis Begin

Guest 300+_T5R_855

Guest 300+_T5R_855

I finished up the engine stand yesterday and started dis assemble today. I am going to paint the block, begin the engine swap, and tranny conversion. I am going to attempt to document this whole affair if it doens't get too ugly. :)

Yesterday:

Making engine stand.

1450.jpg

1455.jpg

Can you use html?

Tear down for paint.

1453.jpg

1454.jpg

Looking into the intake and exhaust confirms this is a low mileage engine. It is very clean throughout with the exception of the surface aluminum corrosion.

1466.jpg

1467.jpg

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 300+_T5R_855

OK that's better, off to the hardware store for some wire wheel accessories for my air grinder.

I thought of that, but this engine only has 29,500 miles on it.

The reason my other engine broke was operator failure not engine weakness.

Nice CJ. I've been toying with painting the block once it gets back from jetwashing (got the call its done, just haven't had the time to pick it up)... maybe i'll just clear it though. Not sure.

Ive been meaning to pick up one of those eastwood powdercoating setups and an oven from some of the remodels we've done, might be a nice touch on cam covers/intakes ect.

Looks good, I may have to pick your brain when I do my swap pretty soon.

Guest 300+_T5R_855

Thanks, I have been meaning to get that stand made for months. Long before I needed it for this project. Now I can use it when I am finished with the T5R on my 240 engine.

I am thinking bright silver block with dark silver brackets, about the color of the "R" calipers, black wrinkle finish spark plug cover, maybe timing cover too.

Downside of powdercoating those covers is the heat will likely warp them.

Thanks, I have been meaning to get that stand made for months. Long before I needed it for this project. Now I can use it when I am finished with the T5R on my 240 engine.

I am thinking bright silver block with dark silver brackets, about the color of the "R" calipers, black wrinkle finish spark plug cover, maybe timing cover too.

Downside of powdercoating those covers is the heat will likely warp them.

I can't imagine the heat from powdercoating is that much more than being attached to the motor will create.

I have a couple extras to play around with though.

I will let you try first. They bake the paint at 450F, and under running conditions it is held flat in 24 places.

Ya I figured I'd have to bolt it down to something.

Guest 300+_T5R_855

More photos. I got the engine clean and painted today. Once tha paint cures I will start bolting things back on.

Does anybody know the year and part number for the better flowing stock exhaust manifold. I think it's a 98 or 99, doesn't make any more hp, but flows better and spools up about 1500 rpm sooner.

1490.jpg

1491.jpg

I believe Johann said that the S60R manifolds are the ones which flow better than the 850-series manifolds.

The P/N for the S60R manifold is 30637921. It'll likely cost you an arm or a leg :P

CJ, those are some awesome welds!

Archived