Volvospeed Forums

Help Removing A/c Lines From Evap

beachnut

I've been working on replacing the evap on the 850, but I've hit a roadblock. I need to loosen the a/c lines at the firewall (I assume) ....

these

evaplines.jpg

Based upon the recommendation of a fellow VS member, I bought this a/c disconnect tool set , but I am obviously too obtuse to figure out how they work, and search as I may on the web, I cannot find any how-to's or descriptions.

I need help please :rolleyes:

Okay, I finally figured these beotches out and got the a/c lines off, but they were still quite hard to remove. Ultimately I had pull on the white climate box that houses the evap to get them to give a little from the couplings, then I used a large bladed flathead to leverage them the rest of the way out.

aclinetool1.jpg

aclinesoff.jpg

So ... you think this evaporator is bad ??!!! :blink:

evapleak.jpg

• 6 months later...

Scott, remember the little plastic clips with the ears? well, are there any that need to be replaced when doing the evap? also, are there only 4 total o-rings in there for the evap lines?

I bought the heater core oring kit from FCP, and I think the evap has some similar plastic clips, just don't know for sure!

also, what tool was it that you tried to use to disconnect the lines? the link you had is broken! was it a spring coupling tool set?

I'm sure you guys are having a lot of fun with this.

Did my one two months ago. You have to tear apart the whole dash!

Disconnecting/re-connecting the lines is the most difficult step. Have the lines steady, pull, pulll and Be patient!

I got the plastic clips from an A/C shop. Later someone told me you can use the standard one for GM/Ford A/C lines. You can get those in Pepboys for ~ $10.

Here is a link that maybe helpful in the process

http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/ac.php

Pras - here's a better link, second to last set. You can get these in any auto store I've found:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/asthan13.html

Regarding those clips that are similar to the heater hose clips, they aren't necessary to replace. They are on there from the factory but i have no idea what purpose they served. I didn't use anything like that when I replaced my evap. The only thing they tell me is if they're on there then the evap has never been replaced! :lol:

Oh yeah, there ARE only 4 o-rings at the firewall (2 per line). There are more at the other ends of the lines, but it depends on whether you'll be removing those. I replaced my accumulator/drier, so I needed a couple there too.

• 2 months later...
Guest AlvinL

From what I understand, the orifice tube is located in-line between the condensor and evaporator. It is replaceable as it can be bought from the dealer. How do I get to this device?

From what I understand, the orifice tube is located in-line between the condensor and evaporator. It is replaceable as it can be bought from the dealer. How do I get to this device?

good question.....i heard you had to just get the entire line, and that had the tube in it

Archived