Volvospeed Forums

91 Volvo 240 At Engine Codes 221, 231, 113

stackman

I have a 1991 Volvo 240 with an automatic transmission and 205,000 miles. I have been getting check engine codes 2-2-1, 2-3-1, and 1-1-3 upon startup and if I really step on the gas such as when getting on the interstate. If I clear the codes after starting they won't come on until I accelerate pretty hard. I replaced the fuel filter and check valve and O2 sensor about a year ago and the fuel pressure regulator this past summer. The car seems to do fine otherwise and the mileage is pretty good (25 to 27 mpg in mostly highway driving). Even the Volvo guru's in Ann Arbor aren't sure about what the causes are. Any ideas on this. Number 6 fuse is warm to the touch, I think this is the in tank fuel pump fuse.

Your mileage is within the normal range for the 240, therefore it's hard to say off hand what the issue is since the indication is that it is either lean or rich. A warm #6 fuse is typical of the 240.

Have you inspected the spark plugs for color/condition? If an actual problem exists, this might offer an indication.

Also has anyone tested the O² sensor to see if it's signal is normal?

Suggestions:

→verify that your TPS is working properly

→make sure the preheated air intake inside the air box is fully closed off at temps above 59°F

→inspect the MAF sensor wire for any signs of contamination

→inspect the MAF sensor connector for any signs of corrosion, plug/unplug this several times

→inspect the hose between the MAF sensor and the throttle body for any holes/splits

→inspect the LH ECU main connector for any signs of corrosion

The ideal test would be to hook up an air fuel ratio meter to the O² sensor and see what exactly is happening under full throttle.

Archived