Volvospeed Forums

V70 Vs. 850 Wagon Rear Spoiler Bracket Question

VovWag7

I just picked up a genuine Volvo 855 rear wing from a friend of mine. :D I think his ride is about a '94-'95 855 Turbo.

Anyways, B4 he took his spoiler off, I noticed that this spoiler mounted with, I assume, Volvo factory mounting brackets, to the hinge torq screws of the rear tailgate. Obviously, the brackets shown below, did work for the 850.

My problem is that these brackets, when mounted onto the spoiler, do not line up with the screws holes of the '98 V70 hinge.

When I spoke to Volvo parts, they said that the 850 and V70 brackets are the same.

So my question, ARE they the same? Can one of you V70 owners with factory wings and factory mounting brackets, please check the pics below and see if the screw locations on your brackets resemble the 855's or do they resemble the screw locations on the V70 tailgate hinge? Can you post a pic?

Also, if anyone has a part number for the correct V70 hinge mounting bracket, I would appreciate it, very much! :D

These are clickable for a little larger picture:

th_tailgate_only.jpg

V70 tailgate hinge

th_wing_on_lid.jpg

White spoiler held onto the tailgate

th_wing_brkt1.jpg

Spoiler with bracket

th_wing_brkt2.jpg

Spoiler with bracket, closer

Thanks everyone for helping me out! :)

Get a wagon spoiler mounting kit from the dealer. Costs about 30 bucks. It comes with everything you need. The piece that mounted up on the V70 is actually the same as that for the 850. Only thing is you got to dismount the tailgate from the hinge to get it off (or install it).

There are no directions, and it took me 30 minutes of scratching my head to figure out how to install the spoiler. But, since you have us, and all the pieces mounted already, you only need to figure out what metal bracket needs to go onto the tailgate hinge.

Thanks for your reply, Doc. :D

"Get a wagon spoiler mounting kit from the dealer. Costs about 30 bucks. It comes with everything you need. "[\quote]

According to the dealer, this (850) kit is the same as that for the V70, unless this isn't a correct part? Doesn't this black bracket look like yours for your 855?

Hook me up, Kev! :P

Any pics of the missing part(s)? I'm guessing when you buy the 'mounting kit' Doc is speaking of, it includes the extra piece for the V70's, 'cuz the brackets my friend had, were directly mounted to his 855 hinge with 3 torq screws and to the wing.

:lol::lol: We'll work out those monthly fees!! :lol::lol:

Let me know how much for the missing :monkey: parts.........Thank you!!

LOL...

hey mark, guess what I just realized that I still have in my bag o parts?

thaaats right...

I think you should just pay me a monthy fee, and i'll supply you with parts.

Hook me up, Kev! :P

Any pics of the missing part(s)? I'm guessing when you buy the 'mounting kit' Doc is speaking of, it includes the extra piece for the V70's, 'cuz the brackets my friend had, were directly mounted to his 855 hinge with 3 torq screws and to the wing.

:lol::lol: We'll work out those monthly fees!! :lol::lol:

Let me know how much for the missing :monkey: parts.........Thank you!!

I have the exact peices you're missing and the hardware. :)

And really done, i.e. PP'd, ya! :D Thanks, Kev and Doc!

Straightened out, once again! :monkey: I probably should have gone to the dealer, but I just have an aversion to that place! My local one hasn't had very good reviews lately, either!

annnd done.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I'm new here and did a search which turned up this thread.

Has anyone actully seen the mounting proceedure for the rear wing on

the 850 described online? I would be very interested as the wings being

sold for approx. 80 USD here in Germany are to glue on!?

Is this safe/advisable? I would feel better having it securely mounted.

Anyone have mounting pics/procedures?

BR

Paul

You Guys dont happen to know the Part # for the wagon and sedan spoiler kit do you?

Would make me a happy little school boy.

JohnA

Rear spoiler for wagon, with brake light, not painted, 850 wagon, V70, 1993-2000 #9184639

Rear spoiler for wagon, without brake light, not painted, 850 wagon, V70, 1993-2000 #9134941

Spoiler on trunk, with brake light, not painted, 850 sedan, S70, 1994-2000 #9124921

Spoiler on trunk, without brake light, not painted, 850 sedan, S70, 1994-2000 #9442519

Spoiler on trunk, with brake light, not painted, 850R sedan, 1993-1997 #6816326-0

Hi, I'm new here and did a search which turned up this thread.

Has anyone actully seen the mounting proceedure for the rear wing on

the 850 described online? I would be very interested as the wings being

sold for approx. 80 USD here in Germany are to glue on!?

Is this safe/advisable? I would feel better having it securely mounted.

Anyone have mounting pics/procedures?

BR

Paul

If you get the OEM Volvo wing, it comes with mounting brackets and an installation guide with illustrations.

I would be a bit wary of having a wing only attached with glue or an adhesive pad. 'Makes you kind of wonder about the source of those ebay wings that don't come with the mounting hardware... ;)

You could get that $80 wing and buy the mounting kit from the dealer.

Archived