Volvospeed Forums

Kiwi Shoe Polish

Figawi

i got a set of molding and front and rear bumpers for my 850. before i put them on tonight i want to touch up the molding so its darker. I DON'T want to paint it this time because it will be a pain if it chips. i'd rather use forever black or kiwi polish.

i live in new england so im subject to rain and snow a lot. which woud be better for me

kiwi shoe polish or forever black? i dont mind touching it up every couple of months if i have to as long as its not too permanent. i want it to be able to come off should the next owner decide they dont like it.

what is involved in prepping my molding beforer applying either product? rememeber they are off the car so i wont need to mask the car off.

what is the drying time for these products and how many cans do i need to buy to do the whole car plus maybe the door handles and roof rails?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly wouldn't use Kiwi. At least I'm hoping you're talking about the squeeze bottle stuff and not the wax stuff. I dont even use the squeeze bottle Kiwi on my boots, doesnt last and water destroys the look. Forever Black or Back to Black last pretty good. Sounds like since you're not looking for something close to permenant you should go those routes. Just basically give the trim a good cleaning. It's no where close to the same prep as painting.

Not the Kiwi show polish, but the Kiwi black leather shoe dye works awesome. Even after 3 months of snow and rain, it is still ALOT darker than the few spots I missed when I originally applied it. And it doesn't run in the rain.

drying time? how can it be removed if i decide i dont want it anymore?

I don't see a problem with the Kiwi Shoe Polish... All you need to do is allow the polish to soak into the trim before going into the elements.

I don't think the future owner of the car would care what color the trim is (odds are they won't know it's supposed to be grey), as long as it's clean and evenly applied.

I don't see a problem with the Kiwi Shoe Polish... All you need to do is allow the polish to soak into the trim before going into the elements.

I don't think the future owner of the car would care what color the trim is (odds are they won't know it's supposed to be grey), as long as it's clean and evenly applied.

so you think the shoe polish is ok as opposed to the DYE?

so you think the shoe polish is ok as opposed to the DYE?

:excl: Hold up. :excl:

There appears to be confusion about the use of Kiwi products on the trim.

Lets get this straight...What I and others here have used is "Kiwi Leather Dye" it comes in black. That is what you want. It is a small black bottle with a sponge applicator on top. This little bottle will last you many applications. Use a paper towel or rag to rub it in after coating the trim with the dye with the sponge applicator.

:excl: "Kiwi Shoe Polish" has unknown effects because no one I know has used it. I would not reccommend this.

p10103622bo.jpg

img09247fw.jpg

Heres mine, use the DYE, not the POLISH, it came out great (despite what you haters may think), you just have to do it right. I applied it and left it on for like 5 days before washing my car, then when I washed it I made sure to get any of the dye that ran down my paint before it stained. Make sure you apply liberally (it cheap enough too) and when you wash it off some dye will come off, but most will stay and leave your trim black. Make sure it dosnt rain though, cause the rain will make the dye run down onto your paint and stain it.

EDIT: The light spot on the trim on the first picture is reflecting light, not a light spot in the trim.

drying time? how can it be removed if i decide i dont want it anymore?

To remove it, you could try mineral spirits first, but if that doesn't work try laquer thinner. Don't use acetone - it will melt your trim. Anytime i have a stain on car vinyl that won't come out with normal methods I use laquer thinner. Seems extreme but it works fine and doesn't melt your vinyl. Where it really came in handy was getting the new style painted on decal airbag warnings off the sunvisors. My sunvisors are clean.

save yourself the frustration and just get the professionally painted. 6 small pieces shouldn't run more than $200 and it will look great and never peel, chip, etc...

right now i have have a complete set of door trim and a rear bumper. i'm waiting to find an R bumper then im sending it all to the paint shop to be painted. no more grey trim for meh :D

Archived