Volvospeed Forums

Camshaft Position Sensor

Guest Guest_volvoz_*

Can anyone tell me what happens to the engine when the camshaft position sensor fails? Does the car not start? This is about a 1993 850. Thanks.

That is correct from what I've been told by my mechanic. The car looks for a signal from the cam position sensor prior to firing the coil/plug.

Guest Guest_volvoz_*

That's an attractive offer, but shouldn't I have a DTC or two if it were infact the camshaft position sensor? I removed a plug, attached back to the boot, cranked the engine and got spark. So if the the sensor fails, then it shouldn't allow spark to occur...

Can anyone tell me what happens to the engine when the camshaft position sensor fails? Does the car not start? This is about a 1993 850. Thanks.

Not all the time...many times it will start and run but stalling is an issue....pull codes from socket A6

Guest Guest_volvoz_*

I tried pulling codes. None at all found. I have spark, I think it may be fuel delivery - don't know. The fuel pump works, gas squirts out at the fuel rail valve. I have to test the actual p.s.i. at that valve though. It almost wants to turn over each time I try. Darn this sucks.

Archived