Volvospeed Forums

Sway Bar Bushings-need To Replace.

Matts 850 GLT

Hi

I have a 93 GLT And need to replace my swaybar bushings. Is this easy or difficult?

What is involved?

Ta

Matt

its easy. liift the front of the car up and put it on jack stands. this will make it much easier. you then need to disconnect the sway bar from the sway bar links. once you have done that you need to remove the 4 bolts holding the bushings on the bar. the easiest way to access them is through the engine bay and use a drive extension to reach the bolts.

once the bolts are off. lift the sway bar a little and the bushing clamps will come loose. slide the old bushings off and put the new greased bushings back on.

reinstall all the bolts on the bar and sway bar links to the propper torque found in the haynes manual. then put your wheels back on and torque the lugs up.

and your done.

Thanks

Do the new bushes really just slide on? No press needed?

What grease do you recommend?

Matt

Bishings have a cut through and it's easier to spread them apart to put on sway bar instead of sliding. any grease will do fine. I didn't put anything at all on mine 2 years ago. Not sure when I'll be due for new ones though.

Bishings have a cut through and it's easier to spread them apart to put on sway bar instead of sliding. any grease will do fine. I didn't put anything at all on mine 2 years ago. Not sure when I'll be due for new ones though.

right right there is a slit in them. they go on easy. you dont' have to grease them i guess but i was told to. i just bougt great from an auto store. it worked fine.

Hi,

It sure seems like a pretty straighforward job. I've had this done by my mechanic and he mentioned they were a little tough to replace because they were fused onto the bar pretty good. Hopefully mine were unusually stubborn.

Hi, Thanks

I will go ahead with it.

Where do you support the front end - I am using axle stands?

I will replace the drop links as well, do you think I will need a re-alignment?

Matt

• 1 year later...

Archived