Volvospeed Forums

Ps Fluid?

DouginDenver

My owner's manual says "ATF" as the fluid type for topping off the power steering fluid reservoir. It does not specify any particular kind, like it does for the transmission, it just says ATF. Do I use the same kind specified for the tranny?

Also, I know the original owner had oil changes done at Grease Monkey. Do places like Grease Monkey use the proper fluids, or do they just put in regular power steering fluid? Are they compatible?

My owner's manual says "ATF" as the fluid type for topping off the power steering fluid reservoir. It does not specify any particular kind, like it does for the transmission, it just says ATF. Do I use the same kind specified for the tranny?

Also, I know the original owner had oil changes done at Grease Monkey. Do places like Grease Monkey use the proper fluids, or do they just put in regular power steering fluid? Are they compatible?

OK, since posting this I did a search on the topic and found a discussion that says that no matter what the manual says, since '99 Vovlo has actually used a synthetic fluid. So the manual is wrong? How can I tell? Just take a sample out and if it ain't red it ain't ATF? What will the synthetic look like? Where do I get some?

Archived