Volvospeed Forums

Down Pipe Hp #s

EddieB

I think the next step for me in my 98R IPD chip and exhaust is to install a down pipe. Has anyone done a before and after dyno run? I also think at that time I would do a port & polish in the turbo. I like the EUROSPORT pipe at $750

Thanks

Eddie

From what I've seen (dyno results and the like) the IPD chips arn't terribly flexible to large changes in the engine. Just something to keep in mind, since it's not tuned for a downpipe nor probably tunable :(

So are you saying It wouldn't help or that the car would run lean with the down pipe installed?

the est downpipe for awd models is 3" off of the turbo, but reduces to 2.5" to clear the angle gear.

you could fit a 3" in there next to the angle gear, but it would be difficult.

last i heard, pat is giving jesse something to model off of for a full 3" downpipe.

So are you saying It wouldn't help or that the car would run lean with the down pipe installed?

It would probably help, but I don't know how the IPD chip would react. Best bet is to contact IPD (pretend you're going to buy their DP or something :P) and make sure.

It would probably help, but I don't know how the IPD chip would react. Best bet is to contact IPD (pretend you're going to buy their down pipe or something :P) and make sure.

Only problem with that is they know my voice :lol: I have called them so many times to ask questions they know my # on caller ID. They say "what now Ed" :lol: :lol:

the est downpipe for awd models is 3" off of the turbo, but reduces to 2.5" to clear the angle gear.

you could fit a 3" in there next to the angle gear, but it would be difficult.

last i heard, pat is giving jesse something to model off of for a full 3" downpipe.

Yeah, I'm still waiting on it.

I have an IPD ecu and installed a 3"down pipe, along with a 16T but thats another topic. The down pipe is definatly a top end thing just like Johann said. Did not hurt my bottom end at all but that could be the 16T, my top end now pulls much stronger and my car keeps the boost gauge pegged at 100mph+. I'm sure I could find more power with a re-tune on the ecu to factor in the upgrades but it sure seems to do ok for now. When I finally do get around to spending the $$$ for the retune I'll wonder why I did not do it sooner :rolleyes:

Archived