Volvospeed Forums

Ipod And Changer

jbilyeu

anybody come up with a way of utilizing an ipod without ditching your changer? The best i can imagine would be a homemade switching device with two female 8 pin connections and one male. this would have to be used in conjuction with one of the ipod to changer adaptors commonly sold.

having seen the post for the amplifier pin outs i thought this might be a good place to suggest a project.

thanks,

jason

anybody come up with a way of utilizing an ipod without ditching your changer? The best i can imagine would be a homemade switching device with two female 8 pin connections and one male. this would have to be used in conjuction with one of the ipod to changer adaptors commonly sold.

having seen the post for the amplifier pin outs i thought this might be a good place to suggest a project.

thanks,

jason

You could probably to it with 4 DPDT relays or 2 QPDT relays, but why have a CD changer when you have an iPod? Just rip all of your CD's to the iPod.... And if you have a cd from a friend or something just put it in the single disk changer in the front. I can not see any viable application for this.

Now if you wanted to switch between an iPod and an AuxIn, that I can see. In that case, get the PA11VOL adapter and solder a larger toggle switch to the jumper terminal that switches between AuxIn and iPod, and mount it somewhere on the dash.

Guest Guest_jbilyeu_*

You could probably to it with 4 DPDT relays or 2 QPDT relays, but why have a CD changer when you have an iPod? Just rip all of your CD's to the iPod.... And if you have a cd from a friend or something just put it in the single disk changer in the front. I can not see any viable application for this.

Now if you wanted to switch between an iPod and an AuxIn, that I can see. In that case, get the PA11VOL adapter and solder a larger toggle switch to the jumper terminal that switches between AuxIn and iPod, and mount it somewhere on the dash.

thank you for your technical suggestions. as to the viability--I'm filling the ipod nano with songs i don't already have on cd. Had i purchased the sixty gig ipod you would be absolutely correct.

Sure this is possible. But, there is another method. The CD Changer pinout shows that you can tap the audio specific lines of the cable and use the CD Changer to trick the HU into thinking that the CD Changer is running.

VolvoCDChangerPinout.jpg

just create a switcher between the audio wires...

Sure this is possible. But, there is another method. The CD Changer pinout shows that you can tap the audio specific lines of the cable and use the CD Changer to trick the HU into thinking that the CD Changer is running.

VolvoCDChangerPinout.jpg

just create a switcher between the audio wires...

Hmm, That may work, but remember, the CD changer is going to keep playing while you listen to your ipod... As long as that is not a problem, then this is the best solution.

Hmm, That may work, but remember, the CD changer is going to keep playing while you listen to your ipod... As long as that is not a problem, then this is the best solution.

i've seen setups like this.. you put a blank CD in the changer and switch to it whenever you use the ipod

this is like i would like to do (if i can't get my cd changer installed cheap and easy) i have a dash mounted pocketpc i use 100% of the time with GPS system. i would plant SD cards in the SD slot with WMA files from the PPC mediaplayer, but i needed an auxilliary input to the HU-801 to dump the 1/8 inch output jack into. i could just get one of those TAPE cassette audio in rigs but it's..... ugly, and sounds poor.

any simple rig plans for this road-often-traveled?

thanks muchly!

Sky

Guest Guest_jbilyeu_*

in the Digi Key online catolog i found an 8 pin mini din switched receptacle....i'm thinking that a switching splitter could me made from two of these receptacles and a male connector. this used in conjunction with the Blitz product that enables your factory deck to navigate the ipods playlists could be the answer

Well yeah, building a switcher would be best if you already have a blitzsafe unit (like me) or similiar. But if you can build a switcher for the audio portion of the cable, that would save considerable amount of $$$, for people who don't yet have such a device. To go about building a switcher, it would be much more complex to build one to switch 8 pins vs, three (pins) that the audio needs.

If you went with the audio switch option, whenever you press the CD or CHGR button on you HU, the CD Changer is gonna operate anyways, but no matter what you press (CD Changer controls) the audio will be coming from whatever the switcher is set to. So you can careless about what the CD Changer is doing, as long as it's functioning.

FYI: The audio inputs on the CD Changer cable are LINE level, which means you can just tap and put RCAs or 3.5mm jack on it with no worries.

If you're gonna order just the jacks, get em from mouser.com, digikey charges a $5 fee for orders less than $25.

I might soon experiment with this.

Guest Guest_jbilyeu_*

Well yeah, building a switcher would be best if you already have a blitzsafe unit (like me) or similiar. But if you can build a switcher for the audio portion of the cable, that would save considerable amount of $$$, for people who don't yet have such a device. To go about building a switcher, it would be much more complex to build one to switch 8 pins vs, three (pins) that the audio needs.

If you went with the audio switch option, whenever you press the CD or CHGR button on you HU, the CD Changer is gonna operate anyways, but no matter what you press (CD Changer controls) the audio will be coming from whatever the switcher is set to. So you can careless about what the CD Changer is doing, as long as it's functioning.

FYI: The audio inputs on the CD Changer cable are LINE level, which means you can just tap and put RCAs or 3.5mm jack on it with no worries.

If you're gonna order just the jacks, get em from mouser.com, digikey charges a $5 fee for orders less than $25.

I might soon experiment with this.

the switched receptacle switches on and of all eight contacts so the changer would effectively be disconected from the head unit... You are correct this set up will cost more but i think that the functionality of the blitzsafe device is worth paying for, also i don't like the idea of the changer spinning all the time the ipod is playing--probably doesn't hurt anything--just seems like an incomplete solution.

Does this connector fit in the CD changer input?

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=di...e_pcodeid=01609

I going to build a switch for cd-changer and iPod, but don't wanna cut the original cable.

looks correct to me 8 pin mini din

looks correct to me 8 pin mini din

just looked again at the receptacle in your post. take a look at digikey; the receptacles the have have a built in switch that make and breaks all eight contacts.

Actually those male 8-pin connectors will not work if you have to plug it into the back of the HU, because the STANDARD 8-pin mini-DIN has indentations at at the 4 and 8 o'clock angles on the shell. The factory radio connector doesn't accept those indentations on the female end. Apparently volvo wanted to use a proprietery connector.

But hope isn't lost, if you 'remove' the indentations, but cutting the shell a little it can be easily made to fit. If you are serious about using this connector, i'd suggest you go to ebay and find a auction for a radio with a picture of the rear, that way you can examine the 8 pin mini-din connector on the HU verses the 8 pin connector that you can buy (look at the datasheet).

A buddy of mine had one of those FM receivers or whatever its called attached to his Ipod and it would just transmit directly to the radio/speakers. No wires needed to hook up. Worked fine in the Volvo too.

Not sure if this is what you guys are after...

A buddy of mine had one of those FM receivers or whatever its called attached to his Ipod and it would just transmit directly to the radio/speakers. No wires needed to hook up. Worked fine in the Volvo too.

Not sure if this is what you guys are after...

I think most folks interested in this thread are trying to avoid the fm transmitter due to sound quality issues associated with them.

thanks for the input though

Archived