Volvospeed Forums

M56h Vin Question

Martin

I called a junkyard today to replace my S70 T5 manual tranny. They had one from a 98, but said my vin number didn't match theirs and it wouldn't work, according to their computer search. Is this true, or should i just ignore this? I just want to know what the difference are between the M56H. Mine's a 98 as well. Thanks for anyone that can clear this up.

Martin's roommate here:

It said it was from a turbo. What we're finding when we look for a replacement is that VIN numbers in a certain range "require" a different transmission than VIN numbers in the another range. So far we haven't had an answer as to why they're saying you need a different transmission based on your VIN, turbo or not.

is the tranny from a NA?

that's why he's saying it won't work i bet.

gotcha, i mean, i don't see how it could be physically different, but then again, i'm by no means an expert..

so if the junkyard car is a manual, turbo, it's gotta be from a T5M...

The "best" answer I got was "oh, transmissions for those are rare" with no explaination as to why or what the difference is. Kind of a sucky "best" answer, heh, oh well. Here's to hoping an expert chimes in with an answer :)

The "best" answer I got was "oh, transmissions for those are rare" with no explaination as to why or what the difference is. Kind of a sucky "best" answer, heh, oh well. Here's to hoping an expert chimes in with an answer :)

yeah, they are rare for sure..

whatever you do, DON'T tell anyone where it is.. i'm not kidding.

ps - what's wrong with the one in the car now? just curious.

The reason why they said it wont work is because it probably has a differant final drive gear ratio.

Any M-56-H manufactured from 96 up should work.

Look at the decal on your trans, there should be a bar code, trans type "IE" M-56-H, and the final drive gear ratio, 3.73, 4.0

Good luck

azinwa ;)

you guys... :D

The reason that they are different is becuase in '98 is when they changed the design in the m56h transmissions. There is a chassis break at VIN numbers ending in 395001 for wagons and 459999 for sedans. So this means that any cars ending in (last 6) VIN #'s before or up to this will have the M56H with the external slave cylinder and a throwout fork style throwout bearing and a single mass flywheel.

The chassis numbers ending in those numbers and onward use the internal slave cylinder/ hydraulic style throwout bearing and dual mass flywheel.

So if your chassis number is from before 459999 than you have the internal style throwout bearing/ fork, and you should find a tranny from another car with a chassis number before the break. :)

PM me if you have any questions.

Ok, Spottieottie, that makes a lot of sense. My last 6 digits in my Vin is 435054. And i have an external slave cylinder. When I ordered my Spec stage II clutch, they sent me one with an internal. Are the clutches the same for both trannies? I would assume so. Thanks for clearing that up.

Archived