Volvospeed Forums

Sunroof Leak

ncst8wuf

The seal on the top side of the glass is prone to lift up and come away from the glass. This is happening to mine and the solution for now was to fill the gap with epoxy or some sort of sealant. My sunroof does not leak for the time being. The eventual solution is to replace the seal completely if this epoxy does not work - the seal can come away from the epoxy in some cases.

Apparently it is a pain in the jerk. My Volvo shop has only ever done it once and I think he said it took him a hour and a half, maybe a bit less. It was his first time changing one and he has been in the business at that location for a number of years.

Would a crack in the rubber gasket surrounding the sunroof cause it to leak?

Is this something that is easily fixed? Is there a short term fix until I can replace it?

Thanks

I would open the sunroof fully and test all four drain hoses. One or more of the drain tubes may be clogged. It would take quite a major leak to overflow the built-in gutter system.

I've got to replace my gasket, but in the meantime I went to autozone and they sell a black rubber weather stripping sealant. I filled up an ink cartridge refill syringe with it and squirted it into all the cracked and raised parts of the rubber weather stripping around the glass of my sunroof. It seems to hold well and no more leaks. Before this, when I had the leaks, I checked all my drains and they were clear. What was happening was the water was leaking through the rubber gasket (between it and the glass), running down the glass sunroof and dripping onto the cover and then into the cabin. I understand that most likely the metal band that the rubber weather stripping is attached to, up agains the glass is rusted (part of the reason for the unusual way this thing has been leaking), so this is going to be a real PITA to replace correctly. It's going to take getting all the rubber off, getting all the rust out, filling the rust holes with something, sanding that down, sealing it with a rust inhibitor and then replacing the weather stripping rubber gasket. I'm waiting until it warms up more and I have a long weekend to do it. I bought my gasket/weather stripping kit from a guy who posts here as he decided not to do the repair on his car after buying the necessary parts.

• 11 months later...
Guest Fleagle
I've got to replace my gasket, but in the meantime I went to autozone and they sell a black rubber weather stripping sealant. I filled up an ink cartridge refill syringe with it and squirted it into all the cracked and raised parts of the rubber weather stripping around the glass of my sunroof. It seems to hold well and no more leaks. Before this, when I had the leaks, I checked all my drains and they were clear. What was happening was the water was leaking through the rubber gasket (between it and the glass), running down the glass sunroof and dripping onto the cover and then into the cabin. I understand that most likely the metal band that the rubber weather stripping is attached to, up agains the glass is rusted (part of the reason for the unusual way this thing has been leaking), so this is going to be a real PITA to replace correctly. It's going to take getting all the rubber off, getting all the rust out, filling the rust holes with something, sanding that down, sealing it with a rust inhibitor and then replacing the weather stripping rubber gasket. I'm waiting until it warms up more and I have a long weekend to do it. I bought my gasket/weather stripping kit from a guy who posts here as he decided not to do the repair on his car after buying the necessary parts.

I posted this in regards to my '98 S70...since then I took everything loose and did all of the rust-inhibitor stuff....it was a PITA but now I haven't had any leaks for about 8 months. P2's may be quite a bit different....I dunno.

Volvo dealer quoted up to $300 to figure out why the passenger floor was soaked. took a few parts from my computer vacuum kit, hooked it up to the regular vacuum stuck it down the drain holes., figured it could only be leaf debris, dirt. took 20 minutes...no more wet floor. magnetic air conditioning vent covers work well at sealing the sunroof from the rain, if you don't exceed about 35 mph.

The 850 and P-1 x70 sunroof's are prone to rusting of the metal edge around the glass sunroof panel (that holds the seal in place). The glass panel comes out very easily so you can tinker with it off the car to see what exactly is going bad. Also, I have seen brand new glass inserts on eBay on occassion, and they seem to go cheap - $40 on one I tracked) - should have grabbed it for a

spare :-( The P-2 glass looks very similar, so it may have the same isue over time.

Guys, for your sake, I hope you don't have the rust issue....that's what I had. Here, check this out (I did repair it myself though, as mentioned above): http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=52360

I bought a new sunroof from Erie Volvo. The one they sent me had the rust issue and they sent me a new one free of charge. I didn't even send the old one back. Comes with a lifetime warranty too!! I'd recommend going that route to be honest. I think I paid $275 or $300 shipped.

Archived