Volvospeed Forums

S80 Sunroof Wont Stop Ratteling

mikeys

My S80's sunroof continues to rattle like a SOB. I've taken it off like everyone said to do and tightend the four screws but still rattles. After a closer look, I noticed it's not the screws (they are tight), but the slide pins that are worn. These pins are what actually slide back and forth in the rails. They are what has play in them. When I push up on the sunroof glass, these pins are what move up and down like they are too worn out for the rail. Does anyone have any kind of fix for this whether it be homemade or legit. Please key your thoughts, this rattle is driving me nuts!!

hmmm, i keep mine shut; i just like the light. maybe stuff the edges with putty, or weather stripping? or put rubber tubing around those pegs? or heat shrink tubing, it's thiner, and tougher if you actively open and close it.

My sunroof rattles too but it is the ceiling slider that rattles when it is open (i.e. light coming through the sunroof but the glass is closed). It rattles against something inside the roof of the car. I keep it closed and it helps but there are still a few rattles from somewhere especially when listening to music. How much is it to replace them? Is it possible for you to wedge something in the sliders when you are not using the sunroof?

I had the same problem with my 2000 C70. Sunroof rattling all the freaking time. After the second trip to the dealer they made some progress, but it still rattled somewhat.

A couple of months later the sunroof shattered. Cause unknown, but there was a golf ball in my front yard which I didn't see until a few days later??

Anyways, after the new sunroof was installed by the glass shop, this was the whole mechanism ordered from Volvo, no more rattle!!!!

Mine looked to be the pins as well, but the new sunroof replaced all of that. Total cost was around $300 if I remember correctly. Insurance paid most of it.

I had the same problem with my 2000 C70. Sunroof rattling all the freaking time. After the second trip to the dealer they made some progress, but it still rattled somewhat.

A couple of months later the sunroof shattered. Cause unknown, but there was a golf ball in my front yard which I didn't see until a few days later??

Anyways, after the new sunroof was installed by the glass shop, this was the whole mechanism ordered from Volvo, no more rattle!!!!

Mine looked to be the pins as well, but the new sunroof replaced all of that. Total cost was around $300 if I remember correctly. Insurance paid most of it.

Are you saying the glass came with the whole mechanism or did you buy the mechanism from Volvo and have the glass shop put in? $300 is cheap to get a glass and the mechanism and have it installed??? Care to elaberate??

Are you saying the glass came with the whole mechanism or did you buy the mechanism from Volvo and have the glass shop put in? $300 is cheap to get a glass and the mechanism and have it installed??? Care to elaberate??

Yeah, really. A whole new assembly should be closer to $800-$900...

Does anyone have this 4-screw-tighten How2?

Here are the directions to flip open the apron, get to the 4 screws + roof height adjustment how to. You don't need to take the apron off. Just get the top off so you can get to the screws. If you take out the 4 screws, you can remove the whole glass sunroof and admire the assembly :-)

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pd...ng_sun_roof.pdf

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pd...ss_sun_roof.pdf

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pd...._adjusting.pdf

I read some people cranked the screw on too tight and bent the sheet metal that it mounts on so don't muscle it too tight.

Did this on mine and still have rattles. The whole rail/guide below the glass feels real loose like everyone mentioned. Seems worn or got some slack in it. Be nice to find a low cost solution than the whole assembly for $800+.

Had to go check the invoice again. Yeah the whole assembly was replaced, and yes it was $700 from Volvo. Not the$300 I thought earlier. Labor was $150 from auto glass shop.

Funny part was they didn't know initially that it retracted and so had installed it to raise only. They had to go back and change something? don't know what to get it to fully function correctly.

But rattle is still gone. My cost was $250 for insurance deductible. So I guess you could always go and break it!

Archived