Volvospeed Forums

Reference Pictures For Manual Swappers (850)

I see more and more people interested in doing manual swaps. So I have composed some pictures for you guys if you are confused on how somthing fits or how it works....

CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES

This swap was done on a 96 850

EDIT: oh yeah and sorry for some reason I cant get the pictures to sort in the right order, so some of the are shuffled around

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cost was about $1700. I got the trannie for 550ish +80 for shipping, and the clutch for 650. Those are the 2 most expensive parts. Other things were flywheel around 100ish, cables, linkages, 25ish from erie.

master cylinder is about 100 on eeuroparts.com

erie quoted me 95 for the shifter and cables, and 65 for the pedals. how did you talk them into that stuff for 25 bux?

by the way i just finished my swap and didnt take a ton of pictures, just of stuff that was confusing/hard to figure out.

will get those compressed and posted soon.

what are the conectors called that you used for the back up light wires that conect to the sensor?

Tim

Man, I cant find the link but I searched it on VS and found the right pins, it should be the 2 blue cables on the PNP

did u pay 179 for master cylinder clutch or found cheaper one?

I ordered all my stuff from FCP Groton, Went and got all the brand new stuff that I could. AnthonyR posted how his slave cylinder shot out. So im like yeah.... it better to get new stuff.

master cylinder is about 100 on eeuroparts.com

erie quoted me 95 for the shifter and cables, and 65 for the pedals. how did you talk them into that stuff for 25 bux?

by the way I just finished my swap and didnt take a ton of pictures, just of stuff that was confusing/hard to figure out.

will get those compressed and posted soon.

Yeah sorry about the confusion I paid 25 for the linkage and about 80ish for the shifter and 65 for the pedals so its the exact same price.

Hows your swap working out? Any problems or is it all working good?

Nice pics there, missing the money shot though!! - of the manual shifter with all the panels fitted.

looking at the pics, have you removed the pnp all togther? im guessing you tapped the pnp connector to tie in the reverse lights.

how did you get round the starting(ie it will only start if the pnp is in P or N)?

Are you still runing the auto ecu?

even though im in the uk with manual R's, i thinking of swapping my auto for a manual, as complete manual t5's (blown engines etc) can be had for a few hundred pounds.

not sure how he did his (though i did see the trans connector in the bag, water tight apparently)

on mine, i cut the harness that runsover the tranny open and separated out the important stuff, ie cam angle sensor, o2 sensor wires, speed sensor, afm wires, etc.

then i cut off the transmission connector right at the connector to keep the important wires as long as possible. via research on here, i knew i had to run the blue and blue/grey wires to the reverse light, and to get it to start without the pnp, splice the green/red and green together.

when i got in there there were 2 solid green wires, the one i needed was the fatter of the 2.

to eliminate all of the useless wires, i got into the ecu container, disassembled the bottom portion which gave me access to all of the TCU wires that were no longer used. i then used the bunch of cut wires where the tranny/pnp plug was to determine what to pull out, and started clipping wires at the TCU connector. then just got a pair of pliers and pulled them out of the harness one by one. all that was left were the blue, blue/grey, green, green/red wires and it all works perfectly. car started right up, and the reverse lights work (which they never did with the pnp switch i had in there)

one more note. by bypassing the pnp switch starter interrupt and therefore enabling the starter to engage in any gear, you disable the cruise control. there is one wire you need to clip under the fuse panel near the abs unit that will fix this. let me know if you need more details.

Nice pics there, missing the money shot though!! - of the manual shifter with all the panels fitted.

looking at the pics, have you removed the pnp all togther? im guessing you tapped the pnp connector to tie in the reverse lights.

how did you get round the starting(ie it will only start if the pnp is in P or N)?

Are you still runing the auto ecu?

even though im in the uk with manual R's, i thinking of swapping my auto for a manual, as complete manual t5's (blown engines etc) can be had for a few hundred pounds.

Yeah im still running the auto ECU, however I think I am going to be purchasing Jross's Euro spec RICA ecu.

not sure how he did his (though i did see the trans connector in the bag, water tight apparently)

on mine, i cut the harness that runsover the tranny open and separated out the important stuff, ie cam angle sensor, o2 sensor wires, speed sensor, afm wires, etc.

then i cut off the transmission connector right at the connector to keep the important wires as long as possible. via research on here, i knew i had to run the blue and blue/grey wires to the reverse light, and to get it to start without the pnp, splice the green/red and green together.

when i got in there there were 2 solid green wires, the one i needed was the fatter of the 2.

to eliminate all of the useless wires, i got into the ecu container, disassembled the bottom portion which gave me access to all of the TCU wires that were no longer used. i then used the bunch of cut wires where the tranny/pnp plug was to determine what to pull out, and started clipping wires at the TCU connector. then just got a pair of pliers and pulled them out of the harness one by one. all that was left were the blue, blue/grey, green, green/red wires and it all works perfectly. car started right up, and the reverse lights work (which they never did with the pnp switch i had in there)

one more note. by bypassing the pnp switch starter interrupt and therefore enabling the starter to engage in any gear, you disable the cruise control. there is one wire you need to clip under the fuse panel near the abs unit that will fix this. let me know if you need more details.

Thats exactly what I did, but instead of cutting off the wires it just left them hooked up. This was done just in case (god forbid) that I had to switch the car bad to Auto

so from fcpgroton u ordered: Clutch Slave Cylinder, Clutch Master Cylinder, Clutch Hose and Clutch Release Bearing

is that right

Yes that is right, but I never did get to use the bearing..... couldent get it to fit. I searched on the forum and other people had the same problem.

to clarify, are you talking about the pilot bearing?

i think karlson was asking about the throwout bearing.

fwiw, i didnt use the manual pilot bearing/bushing either.

did you use new flywheel bolts? i ordered all 10 from volvo, and the ones that came were pretty different than what was on there (or any other car i've worked on, for that matter.)

here's a pic of them with the tool i had to buy.

the parts yard gave me the flywheel bolts with the manual tranny i bought, and they were normal 6 sided hex bolts.

newflywheelbolts.jpg

thanks for the great info guys, If you could post up what wire to clip for the cruise control that would be great as my car has cruise, and im sure this thread will provide so good info for future swappers.

Im guessing the cruise computer is connected to the pnp so it will only allow cruise to work if in D?

Archived