Volvospeed Forums

Need In Changing Vacoom Houses?

LION

I changed 3 vacuum lines from rubber to slicone yesterday. It took me about 2 hours of hell!

When removing stock rubber houses from turbo I found that they are held very tight even after I had removed clamps. I visually inspected the stock houses before and after the replacement.

They look good(no cracks at all) and they were so tight on their places thet I could hardly pull them out (I cannot imagine what boost or vacuum pressure should be that they could leak )

The new ones (silicone samcos) went on very loose and even after tigtening new worm clamps I think that they are loose. (I can pull the silicone house off the wastegate even when it is with the tight clamp )

Today I am going to replace one more vac line and install boost gauge to see the difference(was short on time yesterday to complete all of them).

P.s I have not noticed difference yet. My stock boost gauges needle shows the same figures of vacuum and boost at WOT

The question to all: why should one change the vac hoses if stock ones are in good condition?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no one said you should. change them if the stock ones are good... usually we got older vac lines so changing them is beneficial plust id say 2/3 of the real reason is cosmetic appearance... you dont know how many ppl say WOW when they just look under my hood and thats not because of a big engine but because of it appearance..

no one said you should. change them if the stock ones are good... usually we got older vac lines so changing them is beneficial plust id say 2/3 of the real reason is cosmetic appearance... you dont know how many ppl say WOW when they just look under my hood and thats not because of a big engine but because of it appearance..

Almost every one here says Stage "0": change vacuum houses if you run a tunned chip.

Now I have 290 Hp BSR chip with 17 psi and I still not beat my friend's Mitsubishi Evo 8 for 1\4 mile.

Swap to Garret 3076R, I think would be the real modification!

p.s

I don'T KNOW HOW, BUT Autotech (sweden) managed to build 850 R with 10.9 secs Quater mile time(fwd with slick tyres)

Does anyone know the list of modifications on that 850 r?

Does it have Nira standalone ecU?

If the new hoses are going on loose, they are not the right size. You should have to use pressure to slide the new hose on to the nipple. When they are on they should be snug. Worm clamps, take those off right away. They will tear the silicone. Only use herbie clips, liner clamps or zip ties. What size hoses did you get?

If the new hoses are going on loose, they are not the right size. You should have to use pressure to slide the new hose on to the nipple. When they are on they should be snug. Worm clamps, take those off right away. They will tear the silicone. Only use herbie clips, liner clamps or zip ties. What size hoses did you get?

What about the stock clamps?

Two_spring_Hose_Clamps_-_small.jpg

zip ties work about the best. cheap, lots of colors. hard to beat plain old black IMO. You by chance didnt buy one of those silicone hose kits from autozone or advanced auto parts did you? If you did you will soon find out that it is not very good hose for anything. it tears and will split and collapse in on itself after it gets hot a few times. I use all cloth covered fuel line for all of my vacuum line connections.

Sorry didnt read, i saw you used Samcos(overpriced)

Worm clamps, take those off right away. They will tear the silicone. Only use herbie clips, liner clamps or zip ties. What size hoses did you get?

Do you have photos of all of those clips/clamps we can use, as ive no idea what each type look like?

Do you have photos of all of those clips/clamps we can use, as ive no idea what each type look like?

Herbies (funny plastic thingie):

clipsinclips.jpg

Liner Clamps (look like worm clamps but have an extra piece of metal):

hose2.gif

Zip ties (those little plastic tie wraps) :

zip%20tie.jpg

Screw clamps, though expensive, will work fine:

hose-clamp-mini.jpg

THe OEM clip clamps will also work:

clampsprod.gif

Also acceptable for larger hoses, T-bolt clamps, or band clamps:

image005.jpg

I used 6mm samco houses

i have to STRONGLY disagree with that ratio. I would put cosmetics at about 1/10th of the reason, and the other 90% as performance/benefit of the car. I needed to do my lines so they could hold more boost and not break anytime in the near future. But while I was at it, I figured I may as well match them to everything else. My reason for doing the lines was pretty much b/c the car needed it.

Hire is "White t5's" post with the diagram on how to change the vac lines http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?s...13180&hl=vacuum

There he says that ALL lines are 6mm except the one for coolant resrvoir(8 mm)!

Yes I have seen it. We have done many cars, and have been surprised that even in the middle of model year sometimes the sizes will change. It depends on who is making the parts for the factory and sometimes they switch manufaturers in the middle of the year and the specs will change. So if the hoses you are putting on are loose they are the wrong size. They should be a tight fit on all.

Sig

Archived