Volvospeed Forums

Omg Trim Dying!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just did mine, looks awesome, but let me foreworn you, if your using the liquid kiwi dye, be sure to put many coats on, and be sure to use careful attention to the cracks where its harder to get to. like between the bumper and the fender, use careful attention to that, i have to re-do mine because of that. if you do it during the day it will go faster(when the sun is out and it drys quicker)

good luck

Make sure you mask it off before you start other wise you'll be dying your shiny clear coat too! Rubbing it off is not fun!

What he said

And good luck! Hope it doesnt turn out like my first try! :lol:

I'm almost done, I've done it all but 3 door handles I just came up to get my camera. I taped everything off and used a nice angled sponge to get the hard to reach places. I think my coating is good I applied pretty excessively on both the front and back bumped and by pretty excessively I mean I put a lot on and I did 2 coats on both side trims, it's looking REALLY good and I've only gotten small smudges on my paint and I took it off right away and theres none of there anymore. So far so good!

Done

Everything is complete, now it looks a little uneven or a little darker and lighter in some spots but I think that will clear up as it dries I applied as even as possible but I think the spots I did earlier dried a little more than others making some spots look almost wet still. I guess I'll see in the afternoon, it's 4am and I need to go to bed.

Done

Everything is complete, now it looks a little uneven or a little darker and lighter in some spots but I think that will clear up as it dries I applied as even as possible but I think the spots I did earlier dried a little more than others making some spots look almost wet still. I guess I'll see in the afternoon, it's 4am and I need to go to bed.

yeah with the kiwi it will look uneven at first, but leave it on a couple days, then give your car a wash, making sure none of the dye stays on your paint for long. Most the excess will wash off and you will be left with a nice looking trim.

Fantastic, I figured that would be the result. Luckily I'm looking at clear skies over the weekend and some pretty warm weather so it should dry up real quick. Luckily I taped it off really well and only had to clean maybe 5-6 smudges off the car the whole time and I took care of them as soon as they ocurred. I'll be looking forward to the wash I think I have enough bugs on my wind shield and front end to make a collection, anyone looking for a green beetle :lol:

Fantastic, I figured that would be the result. Luckily I'm looking at clear skies over the weekend and some pretty warm weather so it should dry up real quick. Luckily I taped it off really well and only had to clean maybe 5-6 smudges off the car the whole time and I took care of them as soon as they ocurred. I'll be looking forward to the wash I think I have enough bugs on my wind shield and front end to make a collection, anyone looking for a green beetle :lol:

just dont scrub the dye alot, more just a light polish to get the excess off, its on there, but will come off if really scrub.

i wanna try this now that summer is here.

Dye - $2.44 + Tax

Painters Tape - Had it at the house

Pack of 25 sweet angled sponge brushes - $3.99

Making my trim look fantastic - PRICELESS

nothin better than working on your car in the middle of the night huh?

Well luckily I've got like 3 bright lights in my garage and it was my only free time and I've been telling myself I'd get it done and I was finally FED UP with the grey trim. Plus I had nothing to do so I could take my time.

Yeah. Get some pics. Good luck.

I will get pics very soon!

Archived