Volvospeed Forums

Writeup: Tweeter Upgrade For 2005+ S40

aldebaran

OK here are the installation instructions.

2005+ S40 Rear Tweeter Upgrade

13a.jpg

1. The first thing you need to do is to pull off the black plastic cover on the back of the door handles. They come off pretty easily. I used my fingernails. Pull away horizontally.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

2. Place a flat head screwdriver like so and give a few quick sharp blows to release the clips. Work down the length of this panel.

2.jpg

3. The clips, in yellow, are located in 5 places on the rear door handle. Position the screwdriver accordingly.

4.jpg

4. When the panel is released, look under it and disconnect the power window switch. You can set the panel aside.

3.jpg

5. You will need to loosen 2 torx screws in these two locations. I'm too lazy to photoshop in the arrows, but you can clearly see the two holes where the screws were.

5.jpg

6. This is the most tedious part of the operation - trying to get the panel fasteners to release. I use the same flat head screwdriver to pop the fasteners from the metal door panels. There are a bunch of them around the perimeter of the panel. Since I'm pretty skinny, I only had to release a few and was able to stick my arms into the space between the panel and the door. If you can't do that, then I suggest you remove the entire panel. You can see a fastener in the foreground (blurry) and the hole it had come out from. The fasteners along the top of the door panel are different and much easier to release. You can see 3 of them along the top of this picture.

7.jpg

7. Look inside the panel and remove the dummy tweeter bracket. Note the orientation as it will be exactly how you should install your new tweeters. Unplug them. This is the tweeter plug I have between my fingers.

6.jpg

8. The Dummy bracket and the actual tweeter.

8.jpg

9. I also removed a piece of paper filter over the grilles as they may affect the acoustic transparency. I didn't want to remove my door panels again if they sound 'muddy'.

9.jpg

10.jpg

10. Install the tweeters and connect the wire.

11.jpg

11. Confirm that the door handle release cable had not detached itself from the door handle, otherwise you won't be able to open the back doors from the inside.

12.jpg

12. Make sure the door lock pins are through the holes on the panel first before you start banging. When properly installed, the door panel should only have a 2 mm gap, the doors should open from the inside and your lock pins are visible!

17.jpg

13. Reseat the door panel by applying quick sharp blows (with your hand, don't use a hammer!) to the door trim at the location of the fasteners. They should all pop into place.

14. Reverse all the steps. Don't forget the torx screws.

Great Writeup. Can a mod pin this?

By the way, the little filter in front of the tweeter shouldn't affect acoustic quality too much, it serves the purpose to keep dust, and other particles out.

Thanks for the compliments. I wanted to write this for the benefit of any others who might want to do a quick , cheap and easy upgrade for their audio to overcome the, 'I wish I had the premium audio' blues.

:)

I would expect that most people wouldn't actually buy the stock tweeter...

BUT, since there is a dummy in place... most people would find that they can mount a aftermarket tweeter in there and go from there.

But the pic do clear up what needs to be done and again, I think it needs to pinned!

would u get the lower larger speaker panel covers off the same way?

Yes, the entire panel comes off the door together with the woofer grill. The woofer is attached to the metal part of the door. I hear they are riveted.

Archived